Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
Sorry to have my attempt to educate and broaden IJ's limited knowledge here on the BBS, but I thought this dictionary definition may help him (if he is not already beyond helping)

Snow is pitching.

Traditionally, if the Bristolian dictionaries are to be believed, people from the city would describe snow which remains on the ground and doesn't melt after falling as having 'pitched'. Other uses of this word in this context would include such phrases as: “Oh look, the snow is pitching on the ground”.

Linguists say that the Bristolian word ‘pitching’ to describe fallen snow is a classic example of what’s known as 'incognizant difference', which defines a dialect as opposed to an accent.

Until they hear weather forecasters or people from outside of Bristol using words like ‘stick’ or ‘settle’ to describe snow on the ground, many Bristolians have no idea that people in the rest of the country do not also use the word ‘pitch’.

I hope this helps - although I fear it will make no difference
As Bristol born and bred this made me smile 😊
we always said pitching. Puzzled loads people all over UK when said this in the many areas I have worked and lived. Picked up,various local terms over the years, like laying, settling, covering which seem bit more obvious than pitching! It's how language evolves.