Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
I agree with most of the above - the HW45 can be tricky to master but rewarding when you do. I'd definitely look for a 2nd hand example, try before you buy if you can.
I disagree about the HW40 but that's a matter of personal taste - the HW40 is undoubtedly more accurate, but somewhat soulless and boring in comparison. Also not nearly as powerful, if you like to make those tin cans 'dance'.

I had a HW45 in .22 and one in .177. The .177 I bought from a gunshop in used but good condition, the .22 was also 2nd hand but brand new, perhaps been fired once or twice. The .22 had the horrible modern fibreoptic sights, the .177 had the classic plain iron sights, which is my preference. Ended up ditching the .22 and keeping the .177 as it shot nicer too - also if you are shooting a lot .177 pellets are cheaper

They shoot a lot nicer with a Tinbum tuning kit IMO; Cuts down a lot on the dieseling, smoother to cock and shoot, and immediate improvement in accuracy. So if you do get one and you enjoy shooting it, consider a TB kit.

Another thing to take into account is that the scope rail is an odd size, so it's not the best gun for putting red dot sights on and the like. However the grip is compatible with most colt 1911 grip scales so there is a bit of scope for customisation.
Some very valid points eyebull however my preference for the HW40 is not only how it shoots but it’s size as the 45 is quite a hand canon whereas the 40 is very nice in the hand