Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the largest diameter .177 pellets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Can't see the point of 7 fpe, what do you use it for? be over the 6 allowed for a lot of indoor disciplines and not really high enough for outdoor shooting at longer ranges. Higher power would force the pellet skirt more into the rifling depending on the hardness, thickness of the skirt.

Try H&N FTT. They are usually a tighter fit than Exacts.

edit: forget Bisley Magnums at 7 fpe.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

My best barrels are non-choked and I get the same, hardly any resistance on pushing through but the pellet will expand when fired !

Id try a few samples and see if one comes good

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    RWS superdomes are large
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Never forget that the head sizes are NEVER EVER as stated on the tin, regardless of the brand of pellet!
    I also find that many barrels appear to be bored, hammered? on the big size as well.

This subject has been covered many times before, I think.

Thanks for the replies - I'll try some Superdomes.
    Last edited by Otley; 22-06-2018 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 32:1 View Post
    My best barrels are non-choked and I get the same, hardly any resistance on pushing through but the pellet will expand when fired !

Id try a few samples and see if one comes good

Chris
    ^ exactly what Chris says... the pellet skirt will expand once it has some air behind it

Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
    ^ exactly what Chris says... the pellet skirt will expand once it has some air behind it
    Is there any available evidence to support this theory please ?

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    I don't have any theoretical evidence, but I think it's self explanatory, higher pressure behind pellet + friction resistance, the soft metal skirt will expand as it's moving (if it has place to expand)?

Do you think otherwise?

I have done a test where I have squashed a pellet skirt and measured the velocity, as expected it was lower, however the skirt 'opened' up. Probably more pronounced in a springer due to higher pressure... I only shoot spring guns.

As you work with barrels, you could do an experiment, where you push a pellet through a barrel (hence 0 pressure on skirt) and see how the skirt is deformed, and fire one, if the markings on the one that has been fired are deeper, the skirt has expanded.

Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
    I don't have any theoretical evidence, but I think it's self explanatory, higher pressure behind pellet + friction resistance, the soft metal skirt will expand as it's moving (if it has place to expand)?

Do you think otherwise?

I have done a test where I have squashed a pellet skirt and measured the velocity, as expected it was lower, however the skirt 'opened' up. Probably more pronounced in a springer due to higher pressure... I only shoot spring guns.

As you work with barrels, you could do an experiment, where you push a pellet through a barrel (hence 0 pressure on skirt) and see how the skirt is deformed, and fire one, if the markings on the one that has been fired are deeper, the skirt has expanded.
    That's exactly what we did . We could see no noticable difference .

It only works with an unchoked barrel of course

I'll try find the pics

Recently there was a thread and it showed a pellet before and after firing, It looked like an ftt or accupell, the difference was very noticeable indeed, I wouldn't of thought they were effected that much, post was by BigAl who is the barrel guy. Not sure if it was on here of the r7oc

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

That depends....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tpdLyAwW6voL8ua5A
    ..."My son," said the Norman Baron...."The Saxon is not like us Normans. His manners are not so polite. But he never means anything serious till he talks about justice and right"...

Quote Originally Posted by Lol Moore View Post
    Thanks Lawrence .
    What does this show ?

I see grooves formed by the lands in both the skirt and the head .
    I do not see any sign of contact to the bore in the section between these grooves .
    This is the part of the pellet that is believed to be blown out to make a seal with the bore . Not happening on this pellet , which looks like it has only been pushed / rodded through a barrel .

Ok found a couple pics of a fired and retrieved from down range pellet , i'll have to get help posting the images , but check the portion of pellet that is believed to be blown outwards and drag along the wall of the bore ......
    Last edited by hmangphilly; 21-06-2018 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bezzer View Post
    Can't see the point of 7 fpe, what do you use it for? be over the 6 allowed for a lot of indoor disciplines and not really high enough for outdoor shooting at longer ranges. .
    What indoor disciplines have a power limit?

Possibly try something with a softer skirt, perhaps some AA Diablo? With the lower energy available, you want a head that will fit on the lands of the rifling, but not be too indented, otherwise you will waste to much of that precious energy. A soft skirt that fits into the rifling should provide a seal with the minimum of friction I would have thought?