Thread: Help IDing Diana Model 50

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Picked up this Diana Model 50 at a Airgun Show today because it seemed so well built with blued milled steel. Love the long sleek look and the totally enclosed cocking arm. Front sight dials different post and the back sight can be converted to opened sights. My confusion is when was this made? The write ups on this rifle are totally confusing! Thanks

https://imgur.com/gallery/uRjat
    I agree that the rifle was probably made in the 1952-1954 period. I can’t prove it, but have a hunch those small adjuster screws could have been leftover pre-war parts; at any rate the small screws and smooth-faced trigger pre-date the later styles.

That model was usually sold as the “Model 50/b.” it combined the same stock used on the basic sporter 50 with that marvelous two-function sight. Without the peep attachment, it was sold as the “Model 50/a,” and later the target action was sold in a heavier stock as the “Model 50M.”

That is a FANTASTIC example, by the way, those old model 50’s are seldom seen in such condition. Those guns are highly sought after in Germany; I recently saw a slightly later 50/b (similar to the one in my old post you quoted), but in lesser condition, sell for almost 800 Euros on the “eGun” auction site.

That rear sight appeared in several minor variations. Some had finger-knob windage adjustment like yours, while others had a square-head bolt that required use of a special tool; some had 10 clicks per revolution of the elevation wheel, and others had 20. Note that the little “stair step” engraving on the side of the sight base, serves as a visual indicator of how many times you have rotated the wheel.

Diana appeared to begin date-stamping their rifles around 1962 or ‘63.

More good info on these rifles here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....iana-model-50/

Curious as to the rubber? Aperture cups that see on some examples of this rifle. On the old factory brochures they don’t appear to be on the guns? Were the sold as an accessory?

Curious as to the rubber? Aperture cups that see on some examples of this rifle. On the old factory brochures they don’t appear to be on the guns? Were the sold as an accessory?
    It is just a shallow rubber snap-on hood. I have four of these sights and all of them came with one. I would assume they were supplied with the guns, but no doubt were also available separately.

Thumbs up

Beauuutiful example Drew. I would give my left one for an example such as that.
    Could you post a clean macro shot of the spring steel keeper that is on the RHS?
    My one that resides on my model 35 is still waiting on that piece to complete.
    Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    Beauuutiful example Drew. I would give my left one for an example such as that.
    Could you post a clean macro shot of the spring steel keeper that is on the RHS?
    My one that resides on my model 35 is still waiting on that piece to complete.
    Many thanks.
    If your talking to me I’m not sure what your wanting?

If your talking to me I’m not sure what your wanting?
    I was referring to an image of the windage tension spring on the RHS of the sight. My sight has that part missing and I would want to replicate an identical one

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    I was referring to an image of the windage tension spring on the RHS of the sight. My sight has that part missing and I would want to replicate an identical one
    Maybe this helps?

-------------------------------
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post

That is a FANTASTIC example, by the way, those old model 50’s are seldom seen in such condition. Those guns are highly sought after in Germany; I recently saw a slightly later 50/b (similar to the one in my old post you quoted), but in lesser condition, sell for almost 800 Euros on the “eGun” auction site.

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....iana-model-50/
    I wonder if these are popular in Germany because their laws restrict power to 6 fpe? Chronying mine I was getting about 6.75 fpe a little over, not much adjustment. Could these be grandfathered given they were antiques made in that country? Thus more valuable to them?

These guns where not restricted when new, only rifles made after 1970 where restricted.
    That means the Germas can own and shoot a pre 1970 rifle with more then 6 fpe ....
    The modell 50 was allways popular in Germany and a legal pre 1970 "powerhouse" makes them extra popular and can reach high prizes.
    When you are lucky with a new spring and piston seal (and a good sealing loading tap) they can reach 10 fpe.

-------------------------
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by frakor View Post
    These guns where not restricted when new, only rifles made after 1970 where restricted.
    That means the Germas can own and shoot a pre 1970 rifle with more then 6 fpe ....
    The modell 50 was allways popular in Germany and a legal pre 1970 "powerhouse" makes them extra popular and can reach high prizes.
    When you are lucky with a new spring and piston seal (and a good sealing loading tap) they can reach 10 fpe.

-------------------------
    Frank
    Looked at a lot of posts and the early model 50’s were powered right where mine is. Later models increased the power a little more but these were never that powerful. Have no interest trying to boost it, my backyards isn’t that long. Lol. But I can see where a pre-1970 gun would have added value there, explains some of those prices.

Thank you for your assistance Frank and Steve
    Last edited by slow_runner; 18-04-2018 at 09:57 PM.