Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is making a delrin transfer port a bad idea?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    In a springer I have heard that the temperature generated in the TP is very high, if this is true then a delrin TP would not be suitable.

Given the dimensions Barry, the OP seems to be referring to a tp on a pcp, co2 rifle
    B.A.S.C. member

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Given the dimensions Barry, the OP seems to be referring to a tp on a pcp, co2 rifle
    Thanks for clarifying

Its on a stalker rifle that I am re building, it has x2 o rings on the port top and bottom and the measurements are just a guess as its at home and I am at work currently. I found now the original .22 port size was 2.5mm so will try that first. the only thing is that its a .25 so bit unsure of size to go with for a 12flb rifle.
    I have a delrin rod spare form another project that would be perfect for the port and might need a few making of differing sizes to get the power right.
    If it works its going to be my 10 yard squirrel gun!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by rovercoupe View Post
    the only thing is that its a .25 so bit unsure of size to go with to get the power right.
    Any squirrel that big will need a .338 Lapau Magnum at least, maybe even a .50 BMG.

Its on a stalker rifle that I am re building, it has x2 o rings on the port top and bottom and the measurements are just a guess as its at home and I am at work currently. I found now the original .22 port size was 2.5mm so will try that first. the only thing is that its a .25 so bit unsure of size to go with for a 12flb rifle.
    I have a delrin rod spare form another project that would be perfect for the port and might need a few making of differing sizes to get the power right.
    delrin should work fine
    B.A.S.C. member

I would make the part out of metal myself. Brass, mild steel and aluminum are much easier to machine accurately as plastics tend to soften due to the heat produced by machining and a lot of plastics are too elastic and holes drilled in them are smaller than the drill.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    I would make the part out of metal myself. Brass, mild steel and aluminum are much easier to machine accurately as plastics tend to soften due to the heat produced by machining and a lot of plastics are too elastic and holes drilled in them are smaller than the drill.
    Looking at the tiny application I would agree. I don't see the point of using Delrin, which is an option to use when there is a lot of hard work involved and in this case there isn't. Quick job and piece of cake to knock out in brass.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I can't see there being a problem. Our own Jim, AirGun World fame, has done so ... see this month's edition. I have also made delrin transfer ports for a pcp when experimenting a bit.

Cheers, Phil
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    In a springer I have heard that the temperature generated in the TP is very high, if this is true then a delrin TP would not be suitable.
    Okay, slightly off at a tangent, as it's not a springer that the OP is referring to, but, Barry, as Phil says above, Jim's been playing with acetal transfer ports on TXs. All good. And that silly high temperature is only generated for a miniscule amount of time meaning no ill effects with the synthetic TP.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Hopefully here is a pic of the port in question,

....well if you want to go with the advice of a materials eng ...you could go with exactly the same material.
    If its not a bearing, which must always be a different, or harder material, going with same materials brings with it the same rates of exspansion/contraction...regardless of what conditions its being subjected to....thus if its a drive fit ....it will stay a drive fit...
    So i would drive in a turned lump of solid brass and then simply drill the hole to the size you want.
    It might even look like it was meant if you polished it front and back face....as if made from one piece.
    Alternatively ill machine you one from solid one piece if wanted.

Thats a really good idea, i might see whats in the bits box and see if i can find a bit of brass and turn it down.

Thanks guys I might knock up a few delrin ones of differing size holes and see what happens and then once I know the size go all out in brass!

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    So i would drive in a turned lump of solid brass and then simply drill the hole to the size you want.
    Why not drill the hole when the part is still in the lathe as the hole would be in the middle, concentric all the way down and won't fill the gun with swalf.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Unless my eyes are deceiving me or the other end of that tp has reduced diameter, that port is way wider than 2mm bore
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Unless my eyes are deceiving me or the other end of that tp has reduced diameter, that port is way wider than 2mm bore
    looks at least 4mm to me ...