Thread: Would you stillshoot a BP pistol, if you could shoot a cartridge pistol?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm

If only

If they repealed the handgun ban tomorrow I'd be back on cartridge pistols in a heartbeat. When the ban came along I had a smallish collection of firearms with which I could be lethal at about 50yds and dangerous to probably a couple of hundred given the capabilities of the average handgun cartridge. I now have a safe full of firearms that I can be lethal with at close to a mile and dangerous with at even longer range. If the ban were repealed there's no way I'd get rid of the rifle collection I now have, but I would restart my pistol collection.
    Lost:
    Dan Wesson 357 pistol pack with 2.5", 4", 6" + 8" brls,
    4" P08,
    Browning GP35,
    Beretta M1934,
    Zastava .32ACP,
    Mauser C96 (red 9)
    Gained
    LE SMLE MkIII*,
    LE SMLE MkV,
    LE No4 Mk1/2
    LE No5 Mk1
    LE L39
    Rem P14
    Sauer 202
    BSA Sportsman 15
    MH MkII
    .32 H&H rook rifle
    But I'm now much less of a threat to society because my mind isn't being poisoned by proximity to pistols.
    I never took up BP as it would only ever have been a substitute for what I had to give up. I saw rifles as a whole new venture.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    When the ban came along I had a smallish collection of firearms with which I could be lethal at about 50yds and dangerous to probably a couple of hundred given the capabilities of the average handgun cartridge. I now have a safe full of firearms that I can be lethal with at close to a mile and dangerous with at even longer range. If the ban were repealed there's no way I'd get rid of the rifle collection I now have, but I would restart my pistol collection.
    But I'm now much less of a threat to society because my mind isn't being poisoned by proximity to pistols.
    I never took up BP as it would only ever have been a substitute for what I had to give up. I saw rifles as a whole new venture.
    I could say that was funny, if it weren't so sad, Harry.

It looks as though you found a good way to compensate, though.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Ooooh yes, there's nothing quite like working up a sweat trying to achieve 20 rds a minute with a SMLE. Makes you grin..A lot.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Croydon, Surrey, England, Earth, The Milky Way...
    Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    When the ban came along I had a smallish collection of firearms with which I could be lethal at about 50yds and dangerous to probably a couple of hundred given the capabilities of the average handgun cartridge. I now have a safe full of firearms that I can be lethal with at close to a mile and dangerous with at even longer range.
    EXACTLY!!

Friggin daft isn't it, and even pistol calibres like .22, .357 and .44 generate more MV and ftlbs out of 12" barrel than they ever did from a 4" or 6" barrel.

FTR, I'd still use my front stuffers, my ROA is probably my most accurate pistol and my Freedom Arms Mini revolver is just so dam cute it would rude not too
    Don’t knock vegetarians…. Some of my best meals have been vegetarians…

I don't shoot B.P. pistols. But I do shoot B.P. Rifles, as well as shooting several Nitro Rifles and Shotguns. I am seriously considering a B.P. Shotgun.

So I suppose that if I had shot Pistols, and now shot B.P. Pistols and a ban was lifted. I would still shoot B.P. Pistols. Reason being? I like Black Powder.
    Robin

Talking

Cartridge guns (and not just pistols) and muzzleloaders = Blondes and brunettes.

What's to dislike in either case?

Good hunting, gentlemen!
    The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

When the ban came along I had a smallish collection of firearms with which I could be lethal at about 50yds and dangerous to probably a couple of hundred given the capabilities of the average handgun cartridge. I now have a safe full of firearms that I can be lethal with at close to a mile and dangerous with at even longer range. If the ban were repealed there's no way I'd get rid of the rifle collection I now have, but I would restart my pistol collection.
    I never took up BP as it would only ever have been a substitute for what I had to give up. I saw rifles as a whole new venture

Lethal?? Interesting turn of phrase. Did that go down on the application as reason to own??

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom-stick View Post
    EXACTLY!!

Friggin daft isn't it, and even pistol calibres like .22, .357 and .44 generate more MV and ftlbs out of 12" barrel than they ever did from a 4" or 6" barrel.

FTR, I'd still use my front stuffers, my ROA is probably my most accurate pistol and my Freedom Arms Mini revolver is just so dam cute it would rude not too
    I have a cartridge version. A neat little pistol, but a bugger to try to hit anything with!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone