Thread: Recoiless vs recoiling FWB experiment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Are there any other examples of a factory recoiling version of any of the match rifles? I only know of the fwb 120/150, the Diana 70/72 junior rifles and the full power TXSR.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Hi Matt,
    Maybe I'm missing something and can't see your objective, but the actions of the 70 and 72 are very different from each other.
    The idler gear covers on the latter are an instant giveaway to what would otherwise look like identical guns.

The recoilless mod 6 pistol upon which the 72's action is based, was the budget version of the proper target mod 10 pistol.
    The mod 70 was based on the recoiling mod 5 pistol.

Recoilless will outscore recoiling when the senses begin to wane at the end of the competitive day.

Aren't airguns fun?

David

Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    Hi Matt,
    Maybe I'm missing something and can't see your objective

David
    Hi David, it’s just to see how much difference the Feinwerkbau sledge system makes to accuracy.
    I have a 150 & 110 which are identical apart from one recoils and one doesn’t.

Seems everyone was right…
    I just did 10 shots with each, rested. Once with my usual light springer hold and once holding it a bit tighter.
    Full results to follow but in the meantime I can say there was no real difference in accuracy.

The recoiling 110 preferred the lighter hold, and the recoiless 150 preferred the tighter hold (???)

I have to say I’m surprised, I thought the 150 would be noticeably more accurate, although they are both great rifles, and I’m secretly a bit pleased the 110 did well.
    Makes me think it owed a lot to the rifles general design, based on the Anschutz 220.

Here are some some slo-mo shots of the mechanisms to compare, interestingly the sledge system on the 150 seems to travel the exact distance that the 110 moves as a result of its untamed recoil.

https://instagram.com/p/CSo38xZH10M/

It’s my understanding that Feinwerkbau made the 110 first, and within a year had patented their sledge system and made the 150. I wonder if they used the 110 to work out exactly how far the sledge system would need to travel?

Anyway I’ll post the groups and full vid soon.
    And yes, airguns are fun.

Matt

Ah, ok I get it now. Thanks for the vid.
    Good of you to give a mention to the grand daddy of the "modern" target rifle, the Anschutz 220.

Anyone remember the 80s ads (Sussex Armoury, I think) for discounted HW55s claiming scientific proof that the pellet had left the barrel before any recoil-induced movement took place?

I always thought they were BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Anyone remember the 80s ads (Sussex Armoury, I think) for discounted HW55s claiming scientific proof that the pellet had left the barrel before any recoil-induced movement took place?

This one, LOL...? Silly yes - but wouldn't you like to go back and pick up a few guns and accessories at these prices!

Last edited by MDriskill; 16-08-2021 at 10:56 PM.

Thank you for this, chaps. I will have seen this advert at the time but had forgotten all about it. Yes, some far-out claims there, for sure. But what a lovely rifle. And whilst the Feinwerkbau sledge action rifles do still retain character, I know where they're coming from with the "dead feeling" comment as many designs these days (mostly pneumatics, it must be said), although impressive, leave me feeling cold and "unconnected". Talking mainly "sporting" designs here.....
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

I think that idea may have come from the manufacturer, a 1968 catalogue says the same thing (top right in text):

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Also says same about FWB110,they call it 'delayed recoil', feature no. '4'

I think they recon the pellet is out of the barrel before the piston gets to end of travel, maybe possible if there was enough swept air volume? although you'd still get the initial rearward movement as the spring expands.

Don't know how you'd measure it, other than with a super high speed camera.

This from 1978 shows a few Webley Osprey Supertargets in the mix, one got silver.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

as Geezer said it would be interesting to see some 1960's result lists.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    I think that idea may have come from the manufacturer, a 1968 catalogue says the same thing (top right in text):

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Also says same about FWB110,they call it 'delayed recoil', feature no. '4'

I think they recon the pellet is out of the barrel before the piston gets to end of travel, maybe possible if there was enough swept air volume? although you'd still get the initial rearward movement as the spring expands.

Don't know how you'd measure it, other than with a super high speed camera.

This from 1978 shows a few Webley Osprey Supertargets in the mix, one got silver.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

as Geezer said it would be interesting to see some 1960's result lists.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Thanks for that. Kudos to Mr Taylor getting so high up with an Osprey.

Also note the 1968 comment about scores improving over the previous five years - exactly when the recoilless rifles started making their mark. Not, I think, a total coincidence.

"A by-product of this delayed recoil sequence is almost total silence on firing a result of the air-flow principle."

Sounds like dishonest cobblers to me! Or maybe they believed this twaddle (surely it was actually nonsense?).
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.