Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Webley Disease....Highly contagious

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    In all seriousness, (apart from Ian's digressions) I really like Webley pistols !
    I have a smashing Premier "blued" E model .22 Cal. Boxed and I love it !

It is a truly noble quest persuing the collection of these magnificent British air pistols, but as there are so many, I decided a long time ago that I wouldn't collect them.
    However, as I attend many Shows, Sales, Fairs etc. and see the many tremendous examples therein, I don't blame anyone from seriously collecting them so I say, Good Luck to anyone wishing to gather as many great air pistols of this famous British airgun manufacturer !

Go for it Guys !
    “An airgun or two”………

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    'FOR SALE: Classic British design. Age related patina. Needs slight attention.One of the best Ive seen.Hardly used in the past few years.'

I DO admit to presently owing a Webley pistol.

I.J. I AM serious if that lovely looking pistol is still in your possesion!

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    Do you make your own boxes, or is there an off-the-shelf option that you customise?

Cheers,

Mark.
    I've bought boxes off evil bay and charity shops. I used one of those big chess and backgammon boxes (the set was missing pieces) for the Typhoon, I cannot remember if it was one of those paint set boxes I used for a Hurricane and the Tempest and the Senior/Premier set were off the bay. I line them with green baize then line the dividing bits of wood and glue/ use moulding pins to secure them. I am not arty or crafyt at all but they are not too bad.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Red face

My missus loves the Webley overlevers (Dunno why as she hates all my other guns!), I did a trade, I sent a straight gripped mk1 and a slant gripped Senior in a trade for a HyScore mk2 sporter that's in amzing condition, Cased and with both barrels + removal tool!

The wife went barmy at the fact some Wobbleys were leaving the house! Wimmin eh?, Can't live with 'em- Can't murder 'em!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    I.J. I AM serious if that lovely looking pistol is still in your possesion!

That fine example of a barrel cocking Wobbly was purchased by a fellow club member at a recent airgun fair for the grand sum of £1. Personally, I think he was done.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Webley disease

I have had a Webley Hurricane for about 15 years and I recently renewed my interest in pistols, I bought a Junior and a Senior and they are so well made that you cant help but to love them, but how many do you need Im finding here in Scotland people are discovering they have unlicensed airguns and are just wanting rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ogri211 View Post
    I have had a Webley Hurricane for about 15 years and I recently renewed my interest in pistols, I bought a Junior and a Senior and they are so well made that you cant help but to love them, but how many do you need Im finding here in Scotland people are discovering they have unlicensed airguns and are just wanting rid of them.
    Brockocks and S & P pistols were appearing at my local gun shop for years after they had been put on ticket. The owners not knowing the change in law. I suppose similar will happen in Scotland. I suggest a conveniently sited skip for the Wobblys.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    They say that the most extreme and final stage of an addiction is denial.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    My missus loves the Webley overlevers (Dunno why as she hates all my other guns!), I did a trade, I sent a straight gripped mk1 and a slant gripped Senior in a trade for a HyScore mk2 sporter that's in amzing condition, Cased and with both barrels + removal tool!

The wife went barmy at the fact some Wobbleys were leaving the house! Wimmin eh?, Can't live with 'em- Can't murder 'em!!

John
    Is that the "Drodz" you bought at Kempton on the right hand side John or a "Stinger" ?
    “An airgun or two”………

As a recent collector I’m finding Webleys are about the ideal collector piece.
    1. It is a very good design, extremely well made and has stood the test of time.
    2. They are accurate and fun to shoot, not always true in collectable guns
    3. There were many variants to continue collecting interest.
    4. They were widely exported, so everybody is in the game.
    Last edited by 45flint; 11-01-2018 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    As a recent collector I’m finding Webleys are about the ideal collector piece.
    1. It is a very good design, extremely well made and has stood the test of test.
    2. They are accurate and fun to shoot, not always true in collectable guns
    3. There were many variants to continue collecting interest.
    4. They were widely exported, so everybody is in the game.

1. 'It is a very good design'. - It couldn't be a worse design! The piston travels backwards and the compressed air has to to through TWO 90 degree bends. Other manufacturers try to keep the air transfer as smooth and straight as possible.
    'extremely well made' apart from the cocking linkages.

2. 'They are accurate' Compared to a Gat - yes.

3. 'There are many variants'. Yes there is the same basic design repeated over and over again with the only slight difference being barrel length, patent numbers, grip .....

4. 'so everybody is in the game'. NO!

1. 'It is a very good design'. - It couldn't be a worse design! The piston travels backwards and the compressed air has to to through TWO 90 degree bends. Other manufacturers try to keep the air transfer as smooth and straight as possible.

3. 'There are many variants'. Yes there is the same basic design repeated over and over again with the only slight difference being barrel length, patent numbers, grip .....

Hi,

I can only speak as I find which would confirm that in actual use the Webley range represents the best in compact, spring air pistol design over a period of many years,

I have been lucky enough to own and shoot most of its competitors which would have been available during the considerable production period of the Webley, and not many even come close, in my experience anyway.

Regards
    Brian

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Is that the "Drodz" you bought at Kempton on the right hand side John or a "Stinger" ?
    Hi John

It's a Stinger that I bought from a bootsale for a tenner!, It wouldn't push a BB out, The sellers said that it needed a new spring!

The spring was in excellent condition but the gubbins were really dry!!

This is the Drozd

Just found this on the same page as the Drozd!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Although I am not an avid collector of vintage Webleys, I do have quite a few in my springer pistol collection and I have had the opportunity to compare them with more than 250 different vintage springer pistols of all shapes and sizes and countries of origin. I can say in my experience that in terms of build quality, reliability, performance and aesthetics they comfortably come within the top 5%, and I can understand why collectors can become addicted to them.

My first air pistol was a Webley Senior, bought for me by my dear old dad 63 years ago when I was just twelve. It must have had thousands of shots put through it over the years and suffered all the trials and tribulations that a teenager could throw at it. It had new grips fitted at some stage. I remember even experimenting with ether to get it to diesel, and blowing the barrel out of its catch. Around then a new short link was fitted. I didn't take up air pistol collecting until 30 years later and when I eventually dug out the old Senior it was as rusty as hell with no trace of blue, so I decided to give it a make over and use it as a guinea pig in my early experiments with hot bluing.
    The gun now takes pride of place in my collection, and here it is as it now looks (white lettering courtesy of Typex). It shoots fine, and no wobble anywhere. Not bad for a much used and abused 60+ year old pistol. Hardly a bad design. I think it is a clever use of the fact that air does not mind being forced round right angles to make a pistol that is half the size of a conventional in-line design with no significant loss of efficiency. I can think of few other air pistols that would still be in this sort of condition after all that this has been through.

Although there is no evidence to suggest air pistols were ever officially used as firearms trainers, the rearward movement of the Webley piston does provide an admittedly small recoil component. I would say that shooting a Webley Senior provides a similar recoil characteristic to a .22 rimfire pistol and of course emphasises the importance of follow through in developing ones shooting technique.

Regards
    Brian

Smile

[QUOTE=I. J.;7410070]Not everybody hates them.

But then not everybodys shot one. [/QUOTE
    Ye gods people actually shoot those things!!, Gad what is the world coming too. ...mike...