Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two rifles HW95 / SMK 20S Comparison - An honest test -

Two rifles HW95 / SMK 20S Comparison - An honest test -

I've wanted to do this for ages , SMK bought as clearance stock for £75, HW95 bought off here s/h for £160

Some basic work has been done to both rifles -
    Cylinders & Pistons polished, SMK fitted with HW blade, synthetic guides, factory seals sized for each rifle. SMK factory spring, HW V Mach spring.

A few interesting things, the HW had a score internally on inside of cylinder, straight, full length. It indicates non seemless tube being used. This should not have gone out for sale, it required specific honing of cylinder, (though not on area to locate trigger block too risky)
    By eye the SMK barrel appears slightly off true.
    SMK running at 12.5-14 ftlbs from new, off the shelf. This should not have gone out for sale.

I had the work done above professionally to components, but have just assembled the rifles. The HW tops out at 11.2 with RWS super points which often are surprisingly efficient, and over 11 with AA / Falcon. The SMK hits 11.4 with AA and 10.7 with RWS pellets. Falcons around 11.2, so a pretty fair equal amount of power for a comparison.
    Interestingly the SMK was a doddle to re assemble, the copy being slightly simplified. I had to give up on the HW last night and carry on today, those breach shims are just awful to re locate, lost the safety and had to do again, then had to take out of stock as rear trigger guard nut had escaped.
    For ease of assembly , SMK, much easier around 1/3 rd the time.

My intention is to pull barrels through, scope up with identical scopes in Sportsmatch mounts, fit identical Webley Pro-S silencers. I will update as I have time, with ease of zeroing( will find out if SMK barrel is OK then), accuracy etc etc after careful pellet selection.

Considering the SMK came OTT from new and the HW had a massive FACTORY flaw, it's interesting neither should have been for sale, and that without some knowledge of air gunning and work by an air gunsmith, anyone ending up with either of these would have been on a highway to no where -

I look forward to adding more information, honestly, over the next week or so -

Update - Xmas Eve
    Rifles now have clean barrels cleaned to sparkle with bore cleaner, then carefully re leaded. Fitted with Webley Pro-S Silencers (no clipping checked), Sportsmatch one piece droop comp mounts with arrestor pin fitted in rear location hole holding Japanese Nikko 4X42, very robust clear scopes selling at £200 before JSR cleared them out. The barrels have the correct tension, ie don't drop under own weight, but aren't 'stiff'.The scopes are riding very close to action, you can't fit bikini covers over the front on the HW, just fits on SMK. Will check scope alignment with spirit level and plumb line next, then it's off to do some shooting -

Right did some shooting today at last, Dec 27th. The slightly slimmer smk stock fits me better, but is a bit tractionless. Both rifles needed significant scope adjustment to zero in, a little disappointing, but not that unusual. The hw trigger is noticeably more refined, the hw firing action smoother, but then it has a v mach spring in. The smk was quite pleasant to shoot, not as smooth as the hw though. The hw was shooting thumbnails pretty quickly at 25 yards with falcon lights, so I didn't try anything else. The smk wouldn't group at first using Falcons, so I tried AA, similar. As I'd read it tightened up quickly with Superdomes. I couldn't get a group as tight as I wanted, but went back to the hw and the cold had probably disabled me by then so will continue next shooting session.

A couple of things have become obvious though. Both rifles have a slightly wrong trigger reach for me, mr average. A drop in v mach full kit certainly makes a wacking improvement on a factory rifle, as I didn't find either of these 'a piece of cake' to shoot well with, and they are pretty well fettled, but with factory parts (excepting spring in hw) and guides. The SMK is suggesting being pellet fussy, and liking the least efficient pellets best, which is not ideal in sub 12ftlbs 22s.
    The hw feels more refined, more solid, the parts on the smk are obviously cheaper, and blindfolded , contrary to what I've read, it would be obvious these are quite different rifles, not just in the trigger dept.

A couple more observations, considering I will be shooting these rifles more and carrying on with more detailed info (hopefully on a non sub zero day)

Personally, I found that the latest spec T0-6 Diana 31 compact I have was a lot easier to work on (it has a kit fitted), and has outshot both of the above rifles in terms of accuracy. It's not a fair comparison, as neither the 95 or smk has a full tune kit fitted. Also I find that in uk sub 12ftlb 22 springers, the old UK Webley rifles, are 'EASY' to shoot well with, if set up carefully. I think V Mach in one of their Airgun Shooter articles a couple of years ago commented that guns with small swept volume seemed to behave very consistently, and my own experience agrees with that -

Right, I look forward to more precision target shooting on a warmer day, with a wider range of pellets. Might try Bisley LRG in the smk, they often go well in barrels that don't warm to the 'usual suspects' ...to be continued

Thank goodness for friends with barns in this weather ! 28th Dec
    So, on my way to reaching for LRG for SMK I found an old tin of Superfield, (probably the only time I use these is to find they don't group in whatever rifle), so today was a bit of a shock, suddenly a ragged one hole group appeared ! I then tried FTT in the SMK, similar, but not quite as good a result, but better than RWS pellets - so there we go, if you find the right pellet the SMK does work well ........I will chrono and see what power the super field and trophy's are coming out at, for curiosity
    I also got a slightly tighter group out of the HW95 with FTT than with Falcons, but the difference was really small..
    So, my thoughts ........Chinese rifles have got a lot better , HWs do seem to have some QC issues, but the HW is a more refined rifle. Value for money, well I've just checked and a new 95 at Sportsmans is £262.99, on Gunstar you can pay £189.95 for an SMKXS20. I think if you paid near £200 for the SMK, you'd be very foolhardy, but at the right price allowing for the work YOU WILL NEED TO BE DONE, they could be a sound buy. I'd just like to also point out again that the unsung hero of midweight springers, the Diana 31/34 models can be had for £196.29 in compact barrel format (same length as XS20/95) although I could only find it on a German website (240 Euro's) because no one in the UK bothers to stock them, pretty much.
    While HW drops the ball, and the Chinese makers up the game, Diana all be it with their simple design, pressed parts etc, actually have improved their designs especially the trigger (T0-6 is Super), while the 95 and copy, good though they are have not evolved, though HW have now started introducing ambi stocks and new detent set up (though I've yet to see one on a 95)

I hope this helps any people looking for their first springer, rifle for son (or daughter /wife), or those adding to their collection. Not one of the mentioned rifles shot well from factory though, so budget for parts and work as required .......I will add chrono readings with 'liked' pellets from the rifles, just for interest over the next few days
    Ok, next update .......
    After a couple more sessions, the SMK with it's liked Superfield is around 11.2, so that's great ! It hit 11.5 with Trophy's, didn't get above that.
    The HW has crept up more, half a foot pound in fact, and hit 11.7 (em, a bit close will leave cocked for 24hrs to micro set spring) with most efficient pellet.
    The smk does clatter a bit on barrel lock up I've noticed more now, but having re scoped it (with a £20 scope bought off here) and re sighted , and blatted plenty of superfield through today, for my outlay, it is a goodun, as they say
    Last edited by PCPShooter; 30-12-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: update
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

I am really looking forward to reading more. I haven't owned a Weihrauch so have no personal experience, but over the last few months I've noticed a continous drip of comments indicating that QC at Weihrauch may not always be as good as it could be. At the same time I'm hearing more often that the XS 20, and XS 19 to a lesser extent, are improving a great deal.
    Whatever doesn't kill you, is going to leave a scar... A Crip With A Gun!
    S400F Superlite Carbine - XL Tactical - 280k - 2250b - Striker 1000X - IZH MP-61 - Webley Bert - 2240 - C40 - El Gamo Centre - Walther CP88 - Sig Sauer GSR - Makarov MP-654

Quote Originally Posted by TonyHolden View Post
    I am really looking forward to reading more. I haven't owned a Weihrauch so have no personal experience, but over the last few months I've noticed a continous drip of comments indicating that QC at Weihrauch may not always be as good as it could be. At the same time I'm hearing more often that the XS 20, and XS 19 to a lesser extent, are improving a great deal.
    Both appear to be true, which is what prompted my own investigation rather than heresay, both rifles are now scoped and I'll be cracking on as soon as time allows

Oooh, interesting read! I've got a xs20, standard at the moment. They tested the power in the shop and it was 11.6 ftlbs!

secretagentmole Guest
    I disagree with your comments on the T-06 Diana trigger. The wife had a 280 carbine, the trigger was that sensitive it was like a hair trigger, no amount of adjusting by the RFD enabled a crisp second stage or anything over a gnat fart to fire! We put it down to bad luck and a few months later she bought another secondhand, the trigger was just as lousy again (yes the gun did have a different serial number)! The Rekord is the best trigger I have used so far, coming up a close second behind it is the Hatsan Quattro, I like that trigger (which feels identical to the one on my Theoben Sirocco), the BSA trigger on the Super 10 is also up at that level!

Thumbs up

Thanks for the interesting & honest review .

I have long believed that the Chinese quality is improving in leaps & bounds .

I think as in every over the counter springer sold today , they all benefit from a bit of a de-burr & clean up .

I'll be watching further updates with interest .

Thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    I disagree with your comments on the T-06 Diana trigger. The wife had a 280 carbine, the trigger was that sensitive it was like a hair trigger, no amount of adjusting by the RFD enabled a crisp second stage or anything over a gnat fart to fire! We put it down to bad luck and a few months later she bought another secondhand, the trigger was just as lousy again (yes the gun did have a different serial number)! The Rekord is the best trigger I have used so far, coming up a close second behind it is the Hatsan Quattro, I like that trigger (which feels identical to the one on my Theoben Sirocco), the BSA trigger on the Super 10 is also up at that level!
    I've used two new spec T0-6 rifles now, fitted one trigger upgrade in TO-5 rifle, shot a retro fit done by someone else in a TO-5, non sound like your description -

Thank you

Agree, thank you for the review, I'm following with interest.

I have an XS20 with the full Venoman treatment and I'm happy with it, not tried at 95 though so do like to hear how they compare. I have found SMk blacks work well in mine, I've a bucket load of hobbies though so going to zero in with them tomorrow and see how I get on.

I have had an AGS SR2/ SMK XS20 and BAM B20 (all made by same manufacture i know) over the years. All were very good, all had the funny points and all did their task well. The AGS always shot to the right no matter what i did to correct it and in the end just compensated. XS20 was actually my son's but he decided the sport wasn't for him. The XS was a bit lively and jumpy. And the B20 was tuned by Venoman from the Chinese air gun forum? All were bought new and sold, Bam was sold because i needed some cash None were a patch on my HW80 in finish etc but i didn't mind, however accuracy was never a real problem and using the under dog is always fun anyway.

I now have a BAM B40 and a TX200HC MkII. The B40 is of standard tune and shoots extremely well, quieter than the TX to shoot but not quite as smooth. The hardwood stock is excellently contoured ala ultra influenced TX style with no choccy run finish, however the wood feels dead like drift wood to handle. The bluing is cheap and patchy thin. The load port is over cut, slightly longer than the TX and can see the extra tooth that is normally under the tube in the TX. The trigger is good if a bit vague between stages. The Air Arms CD unit is equal to Weihrauch's sweet Record trigger but BAM missed the plot here In general i must say that it is very well made and could easily cope with main or only gun status.

Everything on the TX is right, quality,bomb proof,looks and very efficient at it's task but the BAM whilst lacking a bit of finesse, pedigree and finish is never the less very very accurate, reliable and proved a competent bunny basher I do really enjoy taking it out despite the Made in China lasered on the tube with a serial number as long as David Cameron's bank balance (Sorry David Sir, i know you struggle like the rest of us commoners )

I won't get ride of my TX for the B40 and visa-versa, the B40 is like a hen's tooth and enjoy using it and my TX is
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Well I have to say that the XS20 I had was blinding, I obtained it from someone on the UKCAF for a decent price and it was already Venoman tuned and triggered, a very nice rifle to shoot, not sure if I'de buy a new one for nearly £200 when a 95 isn't that much more, like already said Chinese rifles have come on leaps and bounds and heaven only knows what they will be like in the next few years, imagine what would happen if the Chinese offered Ken Turner (other good tuners are available) a huge wedge of cash to design a decent rifle from the ground up with all the right bits and tolarencies would be like, I recently shot a BAM B40 in a gunshop and although it could have done with a tune up it was pretty damn good with a very nice trigger on it that broke pretty well, now if this is a clone of one of the best underlevers in the world then what could they build if they put their own minds to it with all the tuning info obtained from this sight alone, they'de have a few airgun makers shatting themselves, especially if they starting using top grade steel/wood/barrels etc and better machining techniques.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Our fisheries bailiff has a chinese underlever in .22 which he bought 2nd-hand for £80, including sights and a hard case.

I shoot a TX for preference (I also have an s200), and I was really very suprised at how good the Chinese rifle was.
    Not up there with the TX, but not a million miles away either.
    It's only a bloody pellet gun for Gods sake!
    BASC member

Just a quick word or warning the newer XS20's do not have the Rekord copy triggers but a rather crude unit, more of the sort you would expect on a cheap chinese gun and I dont think you can fit the weihrauch trigger blade to it. Easy enough to spot as it does not have the adjusting screw behind the blade tike the Rekord.

Cheers

Chris
    Air Arms TX200 .177, Weihrauch HW80 .22
    Webley Mk1 .177, Gamo Compact

An excellent review and comparison, just as a side note, I believe one of the SMK synthetics is supposed to be a copy of the Diana 31, I think it may be the Synxs, but without the two stage trigger.
    Whatever doesn't kill you, is going to leave a scar... A Crip With A Gun!
    S400F Superlite Carbine - XL Tactical - 280k - 2250b - Striker 1000X - IZH MP-61 - Webley Bert - 2240 - C40 - El Gamo Centre - Walther CP88 - Sig Sauer GSR - Makarov MP-654

re

Hows the quality of materials used back to back,ive just got a hw98 more or less a hw95,i would like to see if the smk comes close to build quality ive dabbled with smk in the early daysbout 3years ago,i know the 98 will last me a lifetime,i would b supprised if the smk would last a monthif it came to me spending £100more for the 95...i would save up as the saying goes you get what you pay for,most chinese products are poor cheap n poor,made by people who dont know what there making or doing,i dont know why so many people on hear are messing about with them when we have air arms,and yes i have 3 of there fantastic air guns.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by hotversion View Post
    Hows the quality of materials used back to back,ive just got a hw98 more or less a hw95,i would like to see if the smk comes close to build quality ive dabbled with smk in the early daysbout 3years ago,i know the 98 will last me a lifetime,i would b supprised if the smk would last a monthif it came to me spending £100more for the 95...i would save up as the saying goes you get what you pay for,most chinese products are poor cheap n poor,made by people who dont know what there making or doing,i dont know why so many people on hear are messing about with them when we have air arms,and yes i have 3 of there fantastic air guns.
    The finish isn't as good as a HW, the blueing is very grey and not that deep and they are very rough around the edges but if you spent a couple of hours just finishing them off they are perfectly capable of lasting for years of good shooting, don't knock the Chinese because they have the balls to copy other manafacturers designs, yes I know and othes know that it is moraly wrong to do what they do but if people wish to buy them then they will, some of us like to tinker and try to improve and they are perfectly fine for that use, surely it's better to get someone into our sport by getting them on the shooting ladder by buying a cheap Chinese or Turkish air rifle and then at a later date when they've saved and improved they can then buy an Air Arms or HW.
    Also like has been said in the past, not to long ago HW's where having bad QC problems and people were having to replace cut off springs, at least with Chinese rifles springs they were finished properly, fair enough the spring may have been made from fuse wire but at least it didn't chew up the innards.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in