Hello all, I am that man with the Webley spring clip. Firstly I would like to thank you for your good luck. Secondly how do you add pictures on this site? I am happy to share pictures etc about the Webley. As stated elsewhere the pistol was my fathers and it has been in his possession from the mid 50’s. It has never had any work done on it in his life. Prior to his ownership we have no knowledge. He believes his elder brother gave it to him. He can remember shooting partridge with it on the Welsh hills for food. The grips have been removed and barrel and rear sight by myself and all screws came out easily and without damage. We know the barrel is post war and incorrect. The left spring clip is a replacement and incorrect.
The gun is a family piece and is not for sale and probably will never be for sale.
I have given it a very light cleaning with 0000 gauge wire wool with Parker Hale 303 gun oil. I would like to remove the piston and spring and have been given the instructions on how best to do so. Getting the washer off the piston (if it is needed) will be another issue that will need addressing.
It would be nice to get the pistol in working condition. Having a spring clip made should not be a problem. My main dilemma is the barrel. When I get the pictures up you will see that the barrel on it is turned down to a smaller diameter than the rest of the barrel at the breech end and will never be held properly by the spring clips. Do I make an interference fit collar for that barrel or get a replacement barrel that would work better? Is the current barrel of value?
I would also like to know how many mark 1 spring clip pistols there are about?
Help getting the pictures up would be a great help.