Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have I Overpriced?

Have I Overpriced?

I'm selling a book in the Sales Section:

Air Guns and Air Pistols by L Wesley. It is the 1959 copy and comes with an amazing provenance: the original receipt for 12/6d from Parker Hale of Birmingham. Interestingly enough, the receipt shows some Marksman pellets, bought at the same time, for 3/4d. I'm asking £35 posted but no takers.

Here's a photo of the receipt:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qr1nla9l2v...56.15.jpg?dl=0
    Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little.

Have a look on Abebooks website…. They give you all the sellers & prices from Worldwide including postage… if I’m ever looking at buying a book I always check for the average cost & condition on Abebooks first…. I hope this helps…

Quote Originally Posted by snodgrass49 View Post

Air Guns and Air Pistols by L Wesley. It is the 1959 copy and comes with an amazing provenance: the original receipt for 12/6d from Parker Hale of Birmingham. Interestingly enough, the receipt shows some Marksman pellets, bought at the same time, for 3/4d. I'm asking £35 posted but no takers.

I quite often see this excellent publication on sale at various Arms Fairs for around the £10 mark. These have usually been in good condition, but obviously without the provenance.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    In my mind that's more of a book collectors price than a price an airgun enthusiast would pay, I picked up a copy for less than a tenner, although it didn't have the receipt that yours has.

As said, that's in my mind which lives in a field full off rainbow coloured rabbits grazing on pink candy floss. I often have to breathe in and out into a paper bag when I enquire prices in antiquarian book shops.

Dave

2 copies

I actually have 2 copies - one signed by the author. Never thought of selling them.
    Take nothing but memories, Leave nothing but footprints

edbear2 Guest
    I got an author signed one off the bay for around 14 quid a couple of years ago, without jacket and worn they seem to be around 10-12 quid, with jacket maybe getting up to low 20's if lots of interest.

The reciept is a nice addition, but I think most folk buy them to read and so won't pay the extra, You could try a Dutch auction (I think that is the term) where you drop the price a fiver at a time untill you get a buyer

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by havengore View Post
    Have a look on Abebooks website…. They give you all the sellers & prices from Worldwide including postage… if I’m ever looking at buying a book I always check for the average cost & condition on Abebooks first…. I hope this helps…
    Have you looked at the price American sellers are asking for 'Webley Air Pistols by Gordon Bruce'. and the difference in postal rates.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Se...ey+Air+Pistols

I'd love to get even half that for each of my two spare copies.

Thanks guys for all the input. I'll give it a go on the Bay and see what happens. I was thinking £20 for the book, a tenner for the invoice and a fiver for signed for delivery. Maybe a collector would be interested.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Thanks guys for all the input. I'll give it a go on the Bay and see what happens. I was thinking £20 for the book, a tenner for the invoice and a fiver for signed for delivery. Maybe a collector would be interested.
    YOu should get that on the Bay easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    YOu should get that on the Bay easily.
    That would be intresting to see at those prices, the invoice would help to make it sell, but there's plenty of them about for around a tenner.

There was a 1st edition for sale on the Baye about 3 months ago at £18. He ran the ad 3 times unsuccessfully but refused £15 for it. I pointed out that a 1st edition only carried a premium if there was a second edition but in this case apparently there was.

Good luck regardless, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    There was a 1st edition for sale on the Baye about 3 months ago at £18. He ran the ad 3 times unsuccessfully but refused £15 for it. I pointed out that a 1st edition only carried a premium if there was a second edition but in this case apparently there was.

Good luck regardless, Mick
    Hee Hee - thanks Mick.

To be honest, not too fussed about selling. Just sitting on the bookshelf looking pretty.

I feel the market for anything is down at the moment as people just don't have the disposable income.
    Sometimes Eblag will give the best result but work out the fees first, but often Gum tree etc is better as many people don't like of trust Eblag

Hi

I have a copy since I was 14 (42yrs!!) But it was getting quite tatty so when I saw one at £20 last year with a good sleeve on it I bought it, I think £35 isn't such a bad price with the sales receipt but I think it would possibly be a book collector that may be interested at the price

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Have you looked at the price American sellers are asking for 'Webley Air Pistols by Gordon Bruce'. and the difference in postal rates.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Se...ey+Air+Pistols

I'd love to get even half that for each of my two spare copies.

I thought (On fleabay at least!) That when those ridiculous prices were put on, it was beacuse they were out of stock and it keeps people from buying them when they can't supply the goods!!

I thinki it's to do with keeping an ad running the whole time so the seller doesn't keep having to re enter the sales spiel!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/