Thread: Primer Pocket Depth

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hello,

Did you say that you measured new Lapua cases and the pocket depth is 0.120" max ?

Judging by my measurements, the CCi primers at my measurement of 0.120 will only just fit perfect! That is as long as you get a "full insert" into the primer pocket.

Of course if you get a batch of primers that are in excess of 0.120" , then you will have your problem of not seating flush.

Again I have never had this problem but!

Perhaps even on new brass, it might be a good idea to try a different pocket cleaner on a few cases to entirely clean the surfaces and try some primers in the cases again.
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

Quote Originally Posted by CROWMAN View Post
    Hello,

I have measured two primers from two different box's of CCI No. 400. Small Rifle primers.

The first one measured 0.174" diameter and a depth of 0.120"

The second one measured 0.173" diameter and a depth of 0.119"

Hope this helps?
    Quote Originally Posted by CROWMAN View Post
    Hello,

Did you say that you measured new Lapua cases and the pocket depth is 0.120" max ?

Judging by my measurements, the CCi primers at my measurement of 0.120 will only just fit perfect! That is as long as you get a "full insert" into the primer pocket.

Of course if you get a batch of primers that are in excess of 0.120" , then you will have your problem of not seating flush.

Again I have never had this problem but!

Perhaps even on new brass, it might be a good idea to try a different pocket cleaner on a few cases to entirely clean the surfaces and try some primers in the cases again.
    Thanks for doing those measurements. The CCI primers I have are mostly around the .122" mark. Some as low as .119" and a few up as high as .124". That's pretty shocking consistency.

Yes, the new Lapua brass has very consistent primer pockets, all between .119"-.120". Not much good though if most of my primers are .122"!

I ordered a K&M uniformer tool yesterday on zx10mike's recommendation. I've seen a lot of good reviews on them too so they must be pretty good. I'll see how I get on with that. I still think the primers are oversize though!

Cheers
    Greg

Primer loading tools rely on the top of the rim pushing against the shell holder. Try measuring the rims or a different shell holder.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Primers should not seat flush but slightly recessed.

Blimey, what an odd one!!

The only primer issue I had was with Wolf/Murom primers piercing round the edges. Turns out they make 2 specs of SR primer, one for .223 and one for 5.56x45, but they dont tell you that!!
    I'm a maggot in another life you know