Thread: Fixed barrel springers, will there ever be a better setup than the sliding breech

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Is it particularly sympathetic to bad handling?
    Oops! Thank you for pointing that out, good sir.

Bloody iPads!

Hope you're keeping well MrD.

How's the testing going on that new mystery gun?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Hope you're keeping well MrD.

How's the testing going on that new mystery gun?
    What the new Air Arms

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Obviously, the sliding compression tube is best. Decades of match wins by the FWB 65, 80, 300 and HW77 and AA TX show that.

I do like the BSA RB design. I don't think they executed it well. I'd prefer a catch that was less likely to foul a long scope, and auto-opening.

And there's a lot to be said for the taploader.

Yes, there's an unswept volume issue. They will never top the efficiency chart.

Yes, many of us have experienced alignment and other QC issues on things like 1970s Airsporters.

But a good tap-loader, like a BSA LJ pattern, Mk1-2 Airsporter, Webley MkIII, pre-late 60s Diana 50, properly lapped and aligned by hand at the factory, is still a great thing, easy to use (esp with auto-opening), pretty accurate, and very, very, safe.

Sure, no tap-loader will win the FT World Champs, but for general use, a good (good) tap-loader remains a perfectly decent rifle.

The same might apply to pop-ups. But I have never owned one (unless the Gamo Spring pistol rotary breech/tap counts), and just don't like them, for entirely irrational reasons.

PS - I note with amusement and approval that no-one has suggested that the Sterling/Park bolt action is a great u/l design.

Because it isn't. Though the Park version has some attractions and merit. The Sterling is like an airgun SA80. Interesting idea, badly executed.

With regards to the best breech seal arrangement, for me it has to be the conical seal a la FWB 300. I think in modern terms the BAM underlevers might use this too (please correct me if I'm wrong)

As much as it pains me to speak badly of my TX200, the double o-ring setup is woeful. Fine for the HC that I only use occasionally, but on my full length which I use 3 or 4 times a week they were constantly giving issues

The Whiscombe side lever set up is very good, no bear trap issues at all, direct loading into the barrel, loads of space for someone with big fingers.

Here is what it looks like:

https://goo.gl/images/eeRDVs

This is also favoured on the PCPs...

Best set up there is?

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    With regards to the best breech seal arrangement, for me it has to be the conical seal a la FWB 300. I think in modern terms the BAM underlevers might use this too (please correct me if I'm wrong)

As much as it pains me to speak badly of my TX200, the double o-ring setup is woeful. Fine for the HC that I only use occasionally, but on my full length which I use 3 or 4 times a week they were constantly giving issues
    Does your full length TX have a tight cocking shoe?
    The seal's last longer with the correct amount of play in the shoe

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Does your full length TX have a tight cocking shoe?
    The seal's last longer with the correct amount of play in the shoe
    Opposite problem. Too much play. With 2 fresh o-rings it needs 2 shims to seal properly and bring the power up. After a few months (I would guess 3-4k pellets) power starts dropping off again.
    Changed to a one piece seal like the weihrauch now. Hopefully it does better