Thread: Webley Air Pistol Batch Numbers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have a Birmingham 4 Mk1. At the muzzle is stamped 093. Under the LH grip panel is stamped 10 93. Also under that panel, scratched freehand into the frame is the date....25/10/49.

VBR

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40S&W View Post
    I have a Birmingham 4 Mk1. At the muzzle is stamped 093. Under the LH grip panel is stamped 10 93. Also under that panel, scratched freehand into the frame is the date....25/10/49.

VBR

Andy
    That sounds like an interesting example Andy. Any chance of a few pics including close ups of the markings?

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    That sounds like an interesting example Andy. Any chance of a few pics including close ups of the markings?

Kind regards,

John
    Hi John

3 pics here as requested. With regard to stampings, the 093 at muzzle, I assumed was a batch no. Could the 10 93 refer to batch no.93 of October of that year? as per scratched date, 25/10/49....a long shot!

VBR

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40S&W View Post
    Hi John

3 pics here as requested. With regard to stampings, the 093 at muzzle, I assumed was a batch no. Could the 10 93 refer to batch no.93 of October of that year? as per scratched date, 25/10/49....a long shot!

VBR

Andy
    Thanks Andy,
    1093 is the batch or assembly number. I couldn't make out the scratched date in your pics. It is unclear if the batch/assembly numbers were a code or (more likely) ran consecutively until the batch was completed before starting from the beginning once again. I am hoping that as many collectors as possible supply letter codes and dates of Premiers, as that may provide a pattern. There have already been a couple of anomalies with the Premiers, so deciphering some kind of order is not all that easy.

Kind regards,

John

Hi John,

Mk1 814 on front plug 1814 under left grip,early post war B'ham 4 no warning on breech plug.

Junior 1292 on front plug and under left grip.

Senior 86 on front plug and under left grip,post war B'ham 4.

Senior 486 on front plug,4486 under left grip,early post war B'ham 4,no warning on breech plug,extended barrel knurling.

Premier 877 on front plug and under left grip,B series 4 pin blued.

Regards,

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Snodgrass View Post
    Hi John,

Mk1 814 on front plug 1814 under left grip,early post war B'ham 4 no warning on breech plug.

Junior 1292 on front plug and under left grip.

Senior 86 on front plug and under left grip,post war B'ham 4.

Senior 486 on front plug,4486 under left grip,early post war B'ham 4,no warning on breech plug,extended barrel knurling.

Premier 877 on front plug and under left grip,B series 4 pin blued.

Regards,

Chris.
    Thank you Chris,

Do you happen to know the date code of the Premier?

Kind regards,

John

Hi John,

the only other number under the left grip is a very faint small 5 stamped 12mm to the right of the grip screw hole.

Kind regards,

Chris.