Thread: Garden shooting rules?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavlar View Post
    I think you'll find feral pigeons are not 'fair game' and cannot be shot just because they are in your garden in the same way you might shoot rats. They can be shot under the terms of the general licence (GL41 and GL42 if you want to google them) otherwise they are protected by the Wildlife and Countryside Act.

As I understand it, the Act protects ALL bird species.
    This has always confused me over the years, We've used a pest controller for years where I worked , I've always asked why they dont use guns , Was told its not quite as simple as shooting pests, Apparently shooting should be a last resort, preventing them access or removing food source etc etc. The norm on most shooting forums is have permission and kill anything. Hey like I said , I've had conflicting info. Dont know myself but hopefully someone can clear it up with the right info.

as long as your pellet does not leave your garden and theres not a constant loud bang all the time i cant see any issues my neighbours are fine adding lead to the target quitens things right down i wish you well

Would a gazebo prevent them seeing you or can they see you from the side?

I thought I had taken every step possible to hide my shooting from my neighbours including raising a double brick wall three feet behind my back stop.
    A few weeks ago my neighbour whilst taking some books to the charity shop handed me one saying 'here this will be of interest to you'. It was an American sniper novel.
    Last edited by Dornfelderliebe; 24-03-2024 at 08:59 AM.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    Would a gazebo prevent them seeing you or can they see you from the side?
    Or a ghillie suit.. the urban version might work for you ?

Last edited by Shed tuner; 24-03-2024 at 09:36 AM.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Or a ghillie suit.. the urban version might work for you ?

I think the beer can on the muzzle is a bit of a giveaway!

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    This has always confused me over the years, We've used a pest controller for years where I worked , I've always asked why they dont use guns , Was told its not quite as simple as shooting pests, Apparently shooting should be a last resort, preventing them access or removing food source etc etc. The norm on most shooting forums is have permission and kill anything. Hey like I said , I've had conflicting info. Dont know myself but hopefully someone can clear it up with the right info.
    Gavlar has just cleared it up

ALL living creatures are protected under the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 unless an exception has been made, and it's the shooters responsibility to know the law.

In the case of birds there are "general licences" covering a number of bird species ,which state that, if scaring them doesn't work it may be legal to use lethal methods 'under specific circumstances' which may include; crop protection, health risks, protection of other wildlife, shooting 'for the pot' is not classed as a good reason.

With mammals species classed as "vermin" have no protection, the control of Rabbits is a legal requirement for land-owners, invasive alien species like grey squirrels & mink should be controlled at every opportunity,
    anything else is legally protected.

The home office guide to firearms law has got an entire section (13) of about 15 pages of rules if you want to read the whole lot

[QUOTE=angrybear;8292770]Gavlar has just cleared it up

ALL living creatures are protected under the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 unless an exception has been made, and it's the shooters responsibility to know the law.

In the case of birds there are "general licences" covering a number of bird species ,which state that, if scaring them doesn't work it may be legal to use lethal methods 'under specific circumstances' which may include; crop protection, health risks, protection of other wildlife, shooting 'for the pot' is not classed as a good reason.

With mammals species classed as "vermin" have no protection, the control of Rabbits is a legal requirement for land-owners, invasive alien species like grey squirrels & mink should be controlled at every opportunity,
    anything else is legally protected.

The home office guide to firearms law has got an entire section (13) of about 15 pages of rules if you want to read the whole lot

All makes sense but its rarely ever followed going by what you see or read on the forums, Unfortunately.

All wild animals are protected to some degree by the Wildlife and Countryside act.

All wild birds are protected and can only be shot where General licences give that authority / exemption.
    Bird species that can be shot under a General Licence, and the reasons, will differ between England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. As such, a shooter needs to make sure he is working to the GL in the area they are shooting in.
    As above, birds can only be killed, where all other non lethal methods have either been exhausted, or are not practical.
    Shooting birds in a residential garden, is highly unlikely to be covered by any General Licence.

As for mammals, though they do not fall under the realms of a general licence, in line with the Wildlife and Countryside Act, a shooter must ensure that no undue suffering is effected on the quarry, in the process of shooting. It must be done humanely.
    This places quite a big legal burden on a shooter. Using inappropriate kit, or not being able to consistently make a clean kill shot, among other things, could see a shooter breaking the law
    B.A.S.C. member