Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brocock atomic

It's a pity Brocock chose fibre optic sights, I just can't get on with them. The original marketing poster I received showed a two part rear section breech. The production pistol has a one piece section that prevents using a two pc mount. I have only small hands and the grips don't have enough meat so it felt unbalanced and nose heavy.

Not a bad pistol that could have been very good. I've opted for a bespoke Crosman 22xx based .177 pcp pistol from Darren at Pacific Pellet Guns with some nice chunky grips. Will post pics when it arrives.
    www.pacificpelletguns.com

Cheers
    Ian
    http://www.dukinfieldagc.org.uk/
    Dukinfield Air Gun Club
    Stockfield Mill, Chadderton, OL9 9EW

The Atomic looks quite good but although I've not held one I've shot an Aim-X and a Falcon FN8. Didn't like either of them much TBH. Too big and poorly balanced for me. Big numb things, I think the main problem is they're too top heavy, they're really just cut down PCP rifles. I have to say too that 25 shots at 5 ft.lbs is quite poor. My modified Rohm Twinmaster gave over 60 shots at 4.8, and was really nicely balanced. Now Nick has sorted the only drawback with modifying the Rohms (that of venting on firing with no pellet) that's where my money would go ... if I didn't have a Steyr!
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    I have to say too that 25 shots at 5 ft.lbs is quite poor.
    Mine does alot more than that bud aleast 40 good shots .
    ATB Matt.

To be fair, most of the Rohms (and other target pistols) are aimed (sorry) at a different market to that of the AimX pistols and are as such far more expensive, the AimX being a sporter type, not a full on target type.

Regarding the action being a chopped down pcp rifle, well the AimX pistol (now Grand Prix) was out first, around 8-10 months before the Contender & Concept rifles, so it's more like the other way round.

Chris.
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.

All good points. Whether the Aim-x came before the rifles or not is moot; to me they resemble cut down PCP rifles. I have to speak as I find and the Aim-X felt to me a big numb lump in the hand; I like pistols to be more pointable.

Quote Originally Posted by DIMMER0707 View Post
    Mine does alot more than that bud aleast 40 good shots .
    ATB Matt.
    Fair enough, that is a lot better than 25

I'm not slagging them off. I did actually like the Aim-X in most respects, it is good VFM for example. It just didn't gel for me.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

All good points. Whether the Aim-x came before the rifles or not is moot; to me they resemble cut down PCP rifles. I have to speak as I find and the Aim-X felt to me a big numb lump in the hand; I like pistols to be more pointable.

I'm not slagging them off. I did actually like the Aim-X in most respects, it is good VFM for example. It just didn't gel for me.
    It is a handful.

Chris.
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.

I would say you were right mate. If anyone bought a Aim X Grand Prix expecting it to handle like a target pistol are likely to be disappointed. I recently bought an Aimx and love it But then I new what to expect, plus I now have, in my own mind, a perfectly viable excuse to buy a target type pistol as well

sound mod

very nice and very tempting. if it is the quality as the contour, then its got to be a winner. Shame they missed a trick by not making it capable of fitting a sound mod or air stripper
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'

The Grand Prix is a very long pistol in fact more like a rifle with the butt chopped off which is why I never brought one . But the thread is asking about the Atomic which is a lot smaller and in my opinion very well balanced better than my Hw45 thats for shore .As for not being able to take a mod or a flip then it could do very easily all you would need its a god engineer bring on Uk neil.I reckon that the Atomic is a great all rounder and deadly accurate to.
    ATB Matt.

mod

well let us know then if anyone has any success in fitting a mod - then i'll be up for one...it's definitely small enough to slip pass Mrs Webb (no comments please!)
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'

Got myself an Atomic in 177 a few weeks back, had a problem with it before I even got to shoot it. The problem was a very slow leek... Fill it up one day to 200 BAR and then the next day less then 100 BAR and not a shot fired. I took it back to the shop and it was swapped out by the Brocock rep without question.

So got to play over the weekend... Wow, I am so impressed with it. I had a FN6 some time ago and just could not get on with it, way to top heavy and just did not like it... With the Atomic the balance is spot on, I was getting sub 1 inch groups at 10 yards and at the club we have a small FT course set up just for pistols. Well the targets are set out between 6 and 20 yards, I was knocking em all down and all with open sights...! Just love it, could not put it down, amazing pistol, very happy.... just love the trigger....

Zeroing it was very simple and what I liked was the rear sight is smack in the middle of it's adjustment in both directions, which to me shows a good bit of engineering if you ask me....

On the shot count, I was getting a lot more than the 25 shots advertised, more like 35 to 40 and still did not notice a drop in poi... I will be doing a shot string during the week and will post the results.....

Just love it
    It’s sometimes best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid rather than open your mouth and dispel all doubt…

Smile Ratgunner

Have had a Brocock AimX Atomic in .22 for about 2 weeks now, shots are stated at 35+ which I will not argue with,

It looks a lump though it sits in my fairly small mitts no problem, excellent balance, chunky Lothar Walther match barrel, likes JSB's

Superb adjustable trigger, excellent finish, so much of a pleasure to own a British designed and built gun again that I ordered one for my Brother,

An unusual feature a foresight that is adjustable left and right, could well be useful for a pistol that delivers 5.7ftlbs,

I also have a walnut skeleton butted Contour rifle in .177, feather light and so accurate you could knock nails in with it, mit ein Weihrauch silencer,

I feel a Concept may well be sneaking up on me?????

After all I said on this thread...

..I just bought an Atomic!

I don't mind admitting to have been wrong on this occasion. I had promised myself a Webley Alecto for Christmas and was in a gunshop the other week for something else and they had never heard of the Alecto, but I handled an Atomic and loved it.

It is still a handful and still slightly top heavy but does balance much better than the Aim-X Grand Prix.

I like the stiff free-floating barrel, I like the fit and finish, I like the trigger, I like the open sights. Not 100% struck with the fibre optic insert but at least the foresight blade is square.

But I can't quite understand why they didn't use the receiver from the Aim-X and have a rearsight mounted onto the dovetails. Instead the receiver is built up behind the pellet trough to give the required height, and the plastic rearsight unit screws into the top of this rear section. It also looks quite a cheaply made rearsight, although it functions fine, but surely the cost of the extra tooling to make the different receiver would have paid for a nice metal sight unit that clamps to a rear dovetail. It also limits options for red dot/scope mounting because you've only got a short section of dovetail in front of the loading port. Oh well.

I got it in .22 as well which is odd because I'm a .177 man. A little voice told me to do it! But practically speaking it should give a few more shots from the short cylinder and I bought it for plinking not serious competition. I have an LP10 for that.

Anyway it's a lovely pistol and I've chronoed it at about 5 fpe with Hobbies at 11.9 grain and 5.2 fpe with Mosquito Express at 14.3g. I'm hoping it will climb a tad as it beds in.

I too am not a fan of "tru-glo" type sights so I bought a spare foresight from Brocock and put a dab of black paint on the 'orrible glowy bit...much better!
    I have to agree with your comments about the breech...much more sense to use the Aim X one and use a dovetail mounted rear sight...but...hey-ho!!
    I prefer open sights but when I fancy a bit of red dotting I fit my Hawke Sport Dot on...it has a single mount so fits a treat...
    A very nice accurate pistol and would probably be superb for pistol HFT...don't think I have any in my area though...
    Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by webb22 View Post
    very nice and very tempting. if it is the quality as the contour, then its got to be a winner. Shame they missed a trick by not making it capable of fitting a sound mod or air stripper
    Hia, Mine came with a threaded end at the end of the barrell, M10 x1 (?). I;m looking 4 a Silencer, any ideas????