Maybe 10 years ago you could get away with shooting a S400 with a basic scope, but that was when we had 40mm kills and 15mm out to 20. Now that we have 25's at 40 and kneelers out to 40 yards, you need higher end kit to compete with the likes of James and Vanty. I don't remember the last time someone won a national with a entry level rifle.

The springer class should be encouraged, this is where people can get into the sport for not a lot of money and compete and win. My set up is a TX200hc, a £50 spring and guide set, then a bit of 2x1 for a hamster and a £10 home made cheek riser.

I've done my time in Open class, I've got my England Team jackets and my top 5 trophies, Springing for me, is not about the pots, it's about having fun and taking on the big boys with their PCP's, but, for those coming into the sport, they have more chance of beating me, then they do of beating the like of James, because the kit is more attainable.

In my opinion, we need more people shooting .22 and springer as the open class is out of some peoples reach.