Thread: Walther LP53

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    I've a feeling that the prevalence of zamak/mazak in modern replica airpistols is mainly to allay concerns that they could be converted to fire any kind of powder round. I've seen anecdotes on here of converting old webleys to fire .22 rf, and of course there were the TAC pistols...But there is no chance of someone successfully firing a live round from an Umarex - not twice anyway
    That it's both cheap but feels reassuringly heavy is probably just a welcome bonus...
    I don't mind the bodies of airguns being made from this if they are under no particular mechanical strain, but I do object to fragile alloys being used for things like indexing pawls and Co2 pressure plates. It has its place.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    I've a feeling that the prevalence of zamak/mazak in modern replica airpistols is mainly to allay concerns that they could be converted to fire any kind of powder round. I've seen anecdotes on here of converting old webleys to fire .22 rf, and of course there were the TAC pistols...But there is no chance of someone successfully firing a live round from an Umarex - not twice anyway
    That it's both cheap but feels reassuringly heavy is probably just a welcome bonus...
    I don't mind the bodies of airguns being made from this if they are under no particular mechanical strain, but I do object to fragile alloys being used for things like indexing pawls and Co2 pressure plates. It has its place.

Agreed on the last point, and your earlier points may well apply to things like blank-firers, but I think the main reason Zamak is used is that it can be cast in a mould, dramatically reducing production costs over any kind of machined metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Agreed on the last point, and your earlier points may well apply to things like blank-firers, but I think the main reason Zamak is used is that it can be cast in a mould, dramatically reducing production costs over any kind of machined metal.
    Bright boy

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    Bright boy

Yeah, that's me.

Do you still have LP53 upgrade kits/bits still available? I have one (and a Predom) inbound fairly soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Yeah, that's me.

Do you still have LP53 upgrade kits/bits still available? I have one (and a Predom) inbound fairly soon.
    Yeah can sort you out no problem....PM me

Recent up date

Finally found a way forward for replacing the now extinct 53 piston head.
    Tried the TR Robb ptfe version....or at least my own version ....it works fine but is a touch slammy.
    Got a few more FPS ....hardly needed any lube and quite consistant. Harvey on here reporting similar but i wasnt satisfied.
    Decided to order a neoprene parachute washer available on flee bee ...intended as a replacement for the HW25.
    Its in at 22.2mm dia. but the 53 requires 22.7mm to seal.
    Dried fired twice and put about 80 shots through her. Velocity went up in a slow curve ....from an initial drop from 467 fps (leather seal unit and my tune kit onboard) to 433 fps then rising back up to 458 fps after the run in described.
    I removed the piston and inspected.
    The seal lip was now just in full contact with the piston wall.
    It may already be ideal...or could go on to expand further ...slowing, or increasing vel...
    Will report back in a week.

The new head required machining of a new steel key hole piston head unit which was pretty simple in the finish. No screws i just used the std type flange used on the hw45 machined onto a TR RObb type head he uses.

Recent up date

Finally found a way forward for replacing the now extinct 53 piston head.
    Tried the TR Robb ptfe version....or at least my own version ....it works fine but is a touch slammy.
    Got a few more FPS ....hardly needed any lube and quite consistant. Harvey on here reporting similar but i wasnt satisfied.
    Decided to order a neoprene parachute washer available on intended as a replacement for the HW25.
    Its in at 22.2mm dia. but the 53 requires 22.7mm to seal.
    Dried fired twice and put about 80 shots through her. Velocity went up in a slow curve ....from an initial drop from 467 fps (leather seal unit and my tune kit onboard) to 433 fps then rising back up to 458 fps after the run in described.
    I removed the piston and inspected.
    The seal lip was now just in full contact with the piston wall.
    It may already be ideal...or could go on to expand further ...slowing, or increasing vel...
    Will report back in a week.

The new head required machining of a new steel key hole piston head unit which turned put pretty simple in the finish. No screws i just used the std type flange used on the hw45 machined onto a TR RObb type head he uses for his ptfe ones...
    Accuracy great.