Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crosman 357 Air Pistol. Any good?

I know it's a bit late but I just found this online.

http://www.airgundepot.com/head-to-h...r-article.html

I have just ordered a umarex colt python 6" but I had to get it in BB as I wanted nickel with wood effect handle but you can get the black in pellet.

Quote Originally Posted by Missed_dinner View Post
    I know it's a bit late but I just found this online.

http://www.airgundepot.com/head-to-h...r-article.html

I have just ordered a umarex colt python 6" but I had to get it in BB as I wanted nickel with wood effect handle but you can get the black in pellet.
    Hi missed_dinner, Thanks for the link. I had a look at a Colt Python the same spec as you have ordered at my local dealers' today. It's a very nice looking pistol but is too expensive for what I want to use the pistol for, plus I don't want to shoot BBs. He was asking for £170.00, so essentially double what I paid for the crosman. Enjoy your Colt Python when it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    Was just going to post that I think they've stopped the old 357/6 in favor of the Vigilante. Hope I'm wrong cause Id have another anytime. Most important parts are metal. I had trigger spring bust after lots of use but easily replaced it with new one from Chambers gun spares. Shame rear sights AREN'T metal as I dropped it and broke most of sight. Chambers do them for £7ish but none in stock. Enjoy your Vigilante. ATB. Pete.
    Thanks for the kind words Pete, I think the 357/6 is still in the crosman catalogue that my local dealer has. It's amazing how cheap the Crosman spare parts are, a number of my friends have the old fashioned Crosman pistols which, to my eye at least, look horrible but do shoot really well. They do make a LOT of noise though!

[QUOTE= They do make a LOT of noise though![/QUOTE]

I'll second that.Not good if you're shooting in a confined space.I only had mine a couple of days.

Ive had a go of one, lost count at 100 shots! It had a fair bit of power and was accurate
    http://co2airguns.net/Collection/Cro...57-6/index.htm
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Hi airgunnut, Thanks very much for the link, it makes interesting reading.

As said the C357 is a great pistol for the money, a few things to be careful with:

- Barrel latch, always press when closing to reduce wear on the mechanism
    - The rubber strip (no spring) under the metal plate on the receiver can become compressed resulting in a sloppy lock up. A small shim under the rubber strip sorts that out
    - The plastic clips on the inside of the grips can weaken and break. Pays to strengthen them with a dab of epoxy.
    - Be aware of the floating barrel, it is a loose fit in the plastic barrel shroud.

Get some spare mags from the site sponser and fire away!

Edit: Inexpensive RWS Geco pellets work well ;-0
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 26-11-2016 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Geco added.

357-6

Bit late, but I echo most of the comments. Prefer the Crosman to the Dan Wesson 8" I also have which cost a lot more. Does feel a bit plastic, & I did have a problem with the butt grips.
    It does seem to prefer Gecos - had misfires when using heavier pellets.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

I was going to post a photo of what I got for my £95, but it would appear that I do not have permission to upload photos! Anyone know why?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Jock View Post
    I was going to post a photo of what I got for my £95, but it would appear that I do not have permission to upload photos! Anyone know why?
    You can post a link to photo hosting website. Guidance in the thread HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    You can post a link to photo hosting website. Guidance in the thread HERE.
    Hi Aimstraight, Thanks for the information. However, it's just too much bother to go through all that just to upload one photo so I shan't bother. Instead, I can say that I am very pleased with the Crosman Vigilante pistol overall.

It is a bit plasticky to be fair but that is reflected in the £80 price tag (although it is a real bargain in USA at less than $60.00).

It was relatively quick and easy to zero the sights as the rear sight is adjustable for both windage and elevation with a single screw adjuster for each operation.
    Out of the box (or case of the starter kit) it was shooting a little high and to the left but with only a little fettling it was more or less spot on. I was shooting outside with a bit of a breeze blowing and will fine tune it when I go to the club range.

Shooting single action was much better, and more accurate than double action as it is quite a heavy pull on the trigger to shoot double action. The trigger is still quite "heavy" on single action and was not helped by it being a stretch for my index finger to operate the trigger - I have largish hands with shortish fingers - but I suppose the pistol is made for the American market where, allegedly, everything is bigger!

The trigger can probably be lightened a bit with of use and a bit of judicious polishing of the surfaces which make contact. I found an article about mods on the internet see here: http://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic61506.html

Loading the CO2 capsule is straightforward, but you have to remove both halves of the pistol grip to be able to turn the capsule retaining screw to both remove a used capsule and fit a new one. It's not difficult to do but the locating lugs on the grips are a bit weak according to other owners.

Again, the grips are made of plastic, which is ok, it's just a shame it's not the tacky feel type plastic of the grips on my Anics Beretta 9000S which feels so much more tactile (but cost a lot more). One of the mods in the link is to stipple the grips using a soldering iron, but I'm yet to be convinced. Has anyone done this to their pistol and was it a success?

When aiming the pistol it feels quite good in the hand. Either single or double handed it comes up to the aim easily and is well balanced and neither too heavy nor too light for my taste. It is easy to fire single action and, as I said earlier, much more accurate than firing double action due to the heavier trigger if you opt for double action. It is good fun to see how fast you can shoot 10 pellets though, so tin cans beware!

I managed about 50 or 60 accurate shots from each CO2 capsule before the pressure dropped too much. Others have claimed 100 plus but I suspect they were not all consistent.

So, to sum up. Am I happy with my new toy? Yes, absolutely. I bought it as I wanted a cheap plinker which was completely different to my 10 metre target pistol and it certainly is that!
    Is it high quality? No, but it is not really trying to be. It is a simple, inexpensive pistol designed to give lots of (figuratively) bangs for your bucks.
    Is it good value for money? Yes, I think it is. Which other revolver can you get for the money which has fully adjustable rear sights and shoots so consistently?

If, like me you are looking for a cheap toy or are looking for a relatively inexpensive route into owning and shooting an air pistol to get started in this sport, then I would say that you should consider a Crosman. You may buy others later, but I think you might just hang on to it for the cheap fun factor and for when your spouse, partner, friend etc wants to have a go but you don't want to let them use your more expensive kit. Happy shooting
    Last edited by Old Jock; 01-12-2016 at 03:28 PM.

I managed about 50 or 60 accurate shots from each CO2 capsule before the pressure dropped too much. Others have claimed 100 plus but I suspect they were not all consistent.
    when I had a go with the crosman 357, I cleaned the barrel then chronoed it (it was over 7 years ago so I canot remember the power) I do remember that it was a hot day and I was shooting at a standad 10m air pistol target, I was shooting at a steady pace using a 2 handed stance, I got nearly all shots in the black (i called a few flyers) I put 10 on each target and saved then to show the owner, the person acting as range control officer witnessed the shot count and he commented that it was pretty consistent to get the groupings I was getting.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

....It is good fun to see how fast you can shoot 10 pellets though, so tin cans beware!.....
    If you like the clank of the old tin can, you might find one of THESE are a bit of fun....but be warned you will get through quite a few pellets and C02 bulbs
    Available from our site sponsor, buy with other products (e.g. Geco pellets) to share the cost of postage

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    If you like the clank of the old tin can, you might find one of THESE are a bit of fun....but be warned you will get through quite a few pellets and C02 bulbs
    Available from our site sponsor, buy with other products (e.g. Geco pellets) to share the cost of postage
    I have something similar and, yes, it is quite pellet consuming.

Any of you guys fitted a red dot holographic to the Vigilante, struggling to find a definitive answer as to the size of the mounts