Thread: Who has rifles fitted with Optimas?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I still think the Sport looks best with the Optima 4x40 with Apel mounts. I'm sure those Tascos do the Sports proud but to me they look as if they belong on a BSA.
    I don't have one but a Moonlighter on a HW80 would be the biz. Or Original 45.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    I still think the Sport looks best with the Optima 4x40 with Apel mounts. I'm sure those Tascos do the Sports proud but to me they look as if they belong on a BSA.
    I don't have one but a Moonlighter on a HW80 would be the biz. Or Original 45.
    Is this better?

I had two Maccari tuned 'Sports, a 124 and a 127. Two left hand standard stocks and two Tasco 611VFM & Apel mounts so I had to put these together.

Other scopes of this period that havent been mention are the Kassnar Beta 3 with the built in spirit level and, dont laugh, the Nikko S 4 x 28 Tiarra. A great little scope that could be picked up for peanuts a few years ago.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Nearly there (So thats were all the Apel mounts went )
    I can't get to my usual Sport picture.

Anyone have a HW80 topped with a Moonlighter? Or even Supermoonlighter?

Yep. I do. I will try and dig out a photo. I’ve got a 3-9x56 super moonlighterAnd a couple of 3-9x45 AO which feel a bit more manageable on size. And a 4x40.

I’ve also got an Apollo 5star 3-9x56 which is in the same vein. I want to like these more than more modern scopes because they are older, relevant for period rifles and have that charm but I must admit that other equivalent mag scopes like the Nikon efr and the sightron 3-9x36 are so much better (optically). All are duplex.

The scope that seems to marry the best of both worlds is the Leupold 3-9x33 efr in gloss black. Lovely wee thing. I have two. And they go on my best rifles!
    https://www.walnut.black

John Darling had the Super Moonlighter on his Venom?/Mastersport?? HW80 .22. Thats a big rifle and the scope only just looks alright, most rifles it would swamp. The later AO Moonlighters look like a 50 rather than 45 objective being bigger. Probably best on a HW77 or HW80. For Sports or Original 45 's then the Moonlighter is enough no AO.
    Of the big objectives 56's then I have been rather unimpressed on the whole with them brightness wise. Tascos and Kassnar were poor, and I didn't find the Super Moonlighter wort the bulk penalty over a brighter glassed 45 or even 40. Only my Zeiss grabbed the light at twilight that these big objectives promise.

AO is a useful feature though is one more thing to go wrong. They change the look of a scope and can look a bit of an afterthought. Some look fine.

I do like the look of the clean lines that non AO scopes have such as the S&B 8X50 have on a full bore rifle. Side parallax has returned that look.

Some scopes are just gems and seem to be brighter and work so well. Not surprising once found then a couple is only just enough.
    Those early Apollo scopes were fine bright scopes. Some of the 32's AO were bright and they look the same scale as a 40. The two Kassnar Betas that have passedme were poor for their big price tag; one was bust having the wire crosshair of old; not impressed.

Leupolds have always been great scopes. Build quality and brighness but they cost more than most rifles by quite a margin.
    Modern glass is better, there have been some real progress there. However, to get the period experience then use a period scope.

(I.J. do get a platted sling for one of your Sports as they are very "period" for the time.)

(I.J. do get a platted sling for one of your Sports as they are very "period" for the time.)
    I would but I would need two identical.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thumbs up

Sorry, Not a very good pic but this is a 3x ,40 Optima that I bought from a local antiques centre! (Luxus stock was from IJ )

John
    Last edited by johnbaz; 22-09-2018 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Fat fingers, Thin buttons! :D
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    True, but the plaited sling never seems to wear as well as a regular belt type. Canvas is the best for that 'shed and barn, 3-In-1, tobacco and dog' ambience, but maybe that is more for the Webley Mk 3 and Airsporter Mk II brigade...

HW32E (5.5mm) with Optima 4x32 wide angle complete with plated strap all bought together in 1980, a present to myself for suing for divorce.
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by GSMN1 View Post
    Yep. I do. I will try and dig out a photo. I’ve got a 3-9x56 super moonlighterAnd a couple of 3-9x45 AO which feel a bit more manageable on size. And a 4x40.

I’ve also got an Apollo 5star 3-9x56 which is in the same vein. I want to like these more than more modern scopes because they are older, relevant for period rifles and have that charm but I must admit that other equivalent mag scopes like the Nikon efr and the sightron 3-9x36 are so much better (optically). All are duplex.

The scope that seems to marry the best of both worlds is the Leupold 3-9x33 efr in gloss black. Lovely wee thing. I have two. And they go on my best rifles!
    Here you go... Super Moonlighter on an HW80 .22 Maglazaglide.

https://imgur.com/a/xxi5lQ6
    https://www.walnut.black

Quote Originally Posted by GSMN1 View Post
    Here you go... Super Moonlighter on an HW80 .22 Maglazaglide.

https://imgur.com/a/xxi5lQ6
    Thats one snazzy jazzy over the top combo. Based on a HW I'd love to see the wheelbarrow that goes with it

lodmoor, I can't think of a better fillip to get over a divorce. Shame you were fleeced so only could manage the 4x32 For the time an excelent combo.