Thread: Low power reload

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    might be a .357 underlever and he wants to use .38 specials etc
    Ah, right. Forgot about them underlevers.... Still, the lowest load in the handbook is something that should NEVER be reduced any further, especially shooting such loads in a 16" barrel or similar...

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Ah, right. Forgot about them underlevers.... Still, the lowest load in the handbook is something that should NEVER be reduced any further, especially shooting such loads in a 16" barrel or similar...

Many many folk are shooting .38 spls at well below the manufacturers starting loads, both in underlevers and in a bygone age, revolvers. The only possible risk is that the bullet does not leave the barrel so reduced loads are not for rapid firing until the reloader has successfully discharged at least 100 rounds with 100% success. For my peace of mind I have reduced my loads below my chosen the optimum to establish that they still reliably leave the barrel, thus moving up a tad gives a good margin.

Alliant list the nominal load for Bullseye as 3.5 gn and suggest starting loads at 10% under, so that's a little over 3.1. The magic load for revolvers, used by many, was 2.7 gn.

Lovex D032 (Accurate #2) startin load is given as 3.6 gn, yet I have been happily using 2.4 - 2.8 gn for many years now.

The thoughtful reloader should recognise that many powder manufacturers do not provide low load data because of the concern that the bullet might not leave the barrel, but with care and understanding the light load regime can be safely explored.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL