Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Hammerli AR20FT

Smile Hammerli AR20

I want one........

going to sell a kidney and my right leg for one.

If you cant beat the rest, then join them, thats what they have done.

Well done Hammeril and Walther......
    [/FONT][/SIZE]Living The Dream

Guys, just a little more info....

Remember that the factory was closed for almost a month for their summer holidays. I ordered a bunch for South Africa just when the factory re-opened 2 weeks ago, and there's a 4-5 week lead time, plus shipping time, so it's not available "daily"

We had a "champion of champions" shoot this past weekend - a LOT of fun. 20 shots benchrest, 10 shots grouping over bench at 50 meters, 10 shots grouping sitting FT style also at 50 meters, 20 silhouette targets at various distances and 20 targets FT.

After the shoot, I gave the AR20FT to a number of guys wanting to try it out. All were shooting at 50 meters in a mild breeze.

3 guys managed to shoot 5-shot groups of under 12mm at 50 meters (side-side) or 7.5mm centre to centre.

I also gave it to 2 of our National team members to try out. Hennie (he had 3rd higest score at the FT Worlds held here in 2009, and ended 5th after a shootout with Mark Basset and Dave Combrink also from SA) was very pleased with the AR20's incredible accuracy.

Lukas Richter (the other member of our National team) also shot an incredible 12mm group. I had a 14 year old girl shoot a ONE HOLE 5-shot group in the FT sitting position with the rifle at 38 meters. That was something special to see.

Anyway, as I have stated on here before - it should be noted that although this rifle is incredibly accurate, it IS being marketed by Umarex as an ENTRY to MID level rifle, and is not supposed to compete (sales wise) or fiinsh quality wise with a Walther Alutec Dominator, Steyr LG110, or Anschutz. Those more expensive rifles with better finish and looks, will always have a place in the market.

What this AR20FT does well, is give many people an entry into FT with a REGULATED FT rifle, unlike an S200 or S400.

Yes, the trigger blade is not that great, and fortunately can very easily be changed to whatever floats your boat. I didn't even like the trigger blades on my Dommi, my Steyr LG110 or my Anschutz, and replaced all of them with TEC-HRO trigger blades, so "pick your poison".

Also, yes it doesn't have a DOMMI regulator, but the Walther LG1250 reg supplied, is very very consistent, and on the demo rifle I have here, gives only a 4fps spread over 20 shots. That is quite awesome in my books. It comes with a fairly heavy 750 gram medium size 300 bar Walther STEEL cylinder, which is good for 150 shots. I had to buy an aluminium short cylinder for my Dommi, as I hated the 950 gram MAXI STEEL cylinder on my Dommi too.

I put the Aluminium cylinder of my Dommi on the AR20FT, and MAN, what a difference it makes to overall balance. Alu cylinder is only 400 grams. BUT, it costs almost EUR200 extra - for that extra price, not really worth it. The AR20FT cannot yet be ordered with ALU cylinder in place of steel YET - but hopefully in the future, you'd be able to order with ALU cylinder instead of steel, and pay in just the difference in price.

Cocking lever is NOT great at first - it's very stiff indeed. My demo's is still very stiff and relatively hard to cock, BUT the one I handled at the IWA show in Germany in March, had been softened up a lot, and was actually very easy to cock "one-handed", so I suspect with some time, it will become a lot easier to cock.

Yes, rail is a cheap one, but costs nothing really, and a lot of guys will shoot without the rail, as many shoot the LG110 without the Steyr rail. And, the supplied rail is not that bad at all.

Lastly, laying out only GBP600 (for you guys in any case) is NOT expensive for getting a rifle as accurate as this. It will certainly make AA and some other manufacturers take note - a full Ft-ready, regulated 300bar, fully adjustable trigger and fully adjustable stock for not much more than an S400....

Good luck to all of you that bought them. For those that are still wondering - just buy it. It's THAT GREAT for the price you're paying!!!

Cheers

Robbie
    Steyr LG110FT & March 8-80x56 IR

Had a play with one today and was impressed. There was virtually no wind and after a few shots tried it at 55yds the first 3 pellets clover leafed. Capable of thumbnail at 55yds groups even with me shooting it. A better shot would certainly achieve tighter groups.

Trigger was factory set and was heavier than I like, but it broke cleanly with no creep. I could live with it. The cheek piece is just high enough for a big Nikko or similar type of scope. Would need a mod if you like to use raiser blocks. The hamster is pathetic far to narrow, but easily sorted.

I didn't mind the weight its a bit like shooting a mark 2 Pro Target with the steel shroud on. Shot one of those for years so the fact its a bit nose heavy didn’t bother me. A bit of weight on the rear would adjust the balance. A butt hook would help.

I had no problem cocking it once I realised it is really short stroked and only needed to pull the bolt back about 6mm. At first I expected it to travel a lot further so ended up pulling against the stops, which made it feel heavy. I found that hooking my thumb over the cocking bolt worked a treat, maybe that pulled the bolt more central.

I'd have one.

If anybody is interested Tony's Camo had 4 in on Saturday and sold one the same day to a Fort club member. I was there on Monday and they still had two for sale plus one on the counter which is more than likely for sale too, making three. They come complete with scope etc. I don't remember the price but I would think it's about the same as everybody else.
    Good deals with;Highland Warrior, UK Neil, ffireblade, Rapidnick

Sigh . . . still extremely difficult to get them outside of Europe.

For those who do have one, is the trigger adjustable ? I've got my FXT12 set very light, like my pistol and other rifles, so I'm wondering if it can be . . tweaked

Absolutely!!! It has a fully adjustable match trigger.

The ONLY gripe with the trigger, is the actual trigger blade. Some like it, some don't, BUT, it too is replaceable.

I didn't like ANY of my other rifles' trigger blades either - but that's a matter of personal choice.

Quote Originally Posted by KScott_NZ View Post
    Sigh . . . still extremely difficult to get them outside of Europe.
    Why?

I'm in South Africa and the one's I ordered, arrived promptly. The other 11 I ordered 2 weeks ago, should be shipped in 2 weeks.

Just get your Walther agent to order it for you - simple as that. they are available - they should just place an order. Lead-time is 4 weeks because of the factory holiday they had - they closed for a month in July/August.

I was looking at one of these at the Midland Game Fair today. It was the first I had heard of them. For the money it looked a great bit of kit. I was tempted to get one but thought I would read up on them first.

It was £695 with the scope or £595 without. Does anyone have any experience with the scope that comes with them? Are they any good and worth the extra £100.

Thanks for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Globalstar66 View Post
    Absolutely!!! It has a fully adjustable match trigger.

The ONLY gripe with the trigger, is the actual trigger blade. Some like it, some don't, BUT, it too is replaceable.

I didn't like ANY of my other rifles' trigger blades either - but that's a matter of personal choice.
    Anyone any idea where these replacement triggers are available, would like to have a look?

Quote Originally Posted by Globalstar66 View Post
    Why?

I'm in South Africa and the one's I ordered, arrived promptly. The other 11 I ordered 2 weeks ago, should be shipped in 2 weeks.

Just get your Walther agent to order it for you - simple as that. they are available - they should just place an order. Lead-time is 4 weeks because of the factory holiday they had - they closed for a month in July/August.
    We don't have a Walther agent. The NZ shop I have spoken to have said delivery possibly October / November, 650 pounds with no scope.

If I could order and pay directly either via VISA or PayPal, I would.

The 8-32x scope it comes with is pretty cheap and not all that great for FT anyway....

The TEC-HRO (from Germany) triggers fit very nicely, and there are Walther triggers that fit as well...

Replaced ALL my rifles' trigger shoes with TEC-HRO.

Found the replacement triggers here

Trigger adjustment

I bought one of these on Saturday. Overall I am pretty pleased with it.

One problem I did have is that I adjusted the trigger to require less pull weight to fire using the screw labelled 'h' in the user manual. I got the trigger how I like it but several times the gun fired immediately when pushing the probe back in after cocking the trigger. This seemed to happen if I pushed it back too fast and was ok if I was gentle, but was quite dangerous. This happened three times whilst out on the HFT course. I have since turned the screw back about half a turn and haven't managed to repeat this, but I will be keeping an eye on it.

Overall the gun seems very accurate.

I would like to replace the hamster with a wooden one. Does anyone know where I could get one that fits?

not sure if it's the same as the LG300, but the way to set them for sear disengagement is to cock it, and turn the screw until it fires, then back off 1/4 turn... mine is actually more like an 1/8th, but whatever floats your boat.

really not good practice to have it light enough that it could go off like that... you could slip or something and release a shot without control. I'm sure that's me trying to give granny an egg sucking lesson though...

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    really not good practice to have it light enough that it could go off like that... you could slip or something and release a shot without control. I'm sure that's me trying to give granny an egg sucking lesson though...
    No, definitely not good practice. It had seemed fine when I adjusted it, I don't go for hair triggers. I was quite surprised when it misfired like that. I was always loading whilst the gun was pointed down range fortunately (especially careful after first incidence). I have backed the adjuster off now and have tried to make it fire again by forcefully pushing the cocking device home and haven't repeated it so I hope that is the end of it. The trigger is still a bit heavier than I would like though.

I was initially worried I would need to return the gun.