Thread: INCOMING! Gecado mod35..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have an "Original 35" with the same rear sight. They are rather elegant, aren't they?

I think mine's quite an early one from the 1950s, and a bit earlier than yours. Marked "MADE IN GERMANY" (no "WEST"), no date stamp, no serial number. It also has a black trigger blade, not a shiny one.

johnbaz, you are correct, I know at least the Diana 25 was imported into the USA as the Gecado 25.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I have an "Original 35" with the same rear sight. They are rather elegant, aren't they?

I think mine's quite an early one from the 1950s, and a bit earlier than yours. Marked "MADE IN GERMANY" (no "WEST"), no date stamp, no serial number. It also has a black trigger blade, not a shiny one.
    Mine says Made in Germany too, I'm pretty sure it's older than my Original 35 as that has a half hearted attempt at a scope rail fitted at the factory!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    johnbaz, you are correct, I know at least the Diana 25 was imported into the USA as the Gecado 25.

Baz
    Ahh, Cheers Baz, I thought i'd read it a few years ago but then, I forgot what I had for dinner yesterday!!

John
    Last edited by johnbaz; 14-01-2018 at 10:29 PM.
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Mine says Made in Germany too, I'm pretty sure it's older than my Original 45 as that has a half hearted attempt at a scope rail fitted at the factory!!

Ahh, Cheers Baz, I thought i'd read it a few years ago but then, I forgot what I had for dinner yesterday!!

John
    Definitely a late 1950s or early 60s rifle. Sure there is no date stamp?

They were also sold in the US as a Peerless 35, a Hy-Score 809, and - briefly - as the Beeman 200. And in many places, especially the "British Commonwealth" as a Gecado or Geco. Some of the later ones, at least, must also have been sold as RWS, as well as Diana and Original.

Just realised yours doesn't have a sight ramp (originally intended for a diopter, not a scope). Mine does.

Which again suggests it's old.

These M&Gs are frustrating. So many different minor variations, so badly documented.

They were also sold in the US as a Peerless 35, a Hy-Score 809, and - briefly - as the Beeman 200. And in many places, especially the "British Commonwealth" as a Gecado or Geco. Some of the later ones, at least, must also have been sold as RWS, as well as Diana and Original.
    I can't find a date stamp anywhere, There's none on the side of the cylinder same as my Mod50's

Just realised yours doesn't have a sight ramp (originally intended for a diopter, not a scope). Mine does.

Which again suggests it's old.

These M&Gs are frustrating. So many different minor variations, so badly documented.
    Ooops, I thought the rail was a bit crummy for a scope!!

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

No date stamping pre 1967 or late 1966 (some doubt which exactly).

For the knowledgebase, also sold as the Winchester 435
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    No date stamping pre 1967 or late 1966 (some doubt which exactly).

For the knowledgebase, also sold as the Winchester 435
    Correct, forgot that one.

Agree on the date stamp thing. Never seen a definitive view on exactly when it started. Or serial numbers. Johnbaz's rifle is interesting in having early features (rear sight, especially), but, while pre-date stamp, it bears a serial number. Which makes me guess early 60s, but that is definitely a guess, given the lack (that I have seen) of detailed facts.

Equally, I've not seen authoritative information on the Germany vs West Germany stamps. I am aware that some of the 50s UK market guns were instead stamped "FOREIGN".