Thread: Zoom scopes....are we being sold a kipper?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Like most shooting related questions the answer depends on how/what you use it for, in the field variable mag allows you to scan a field for movement on lowish mag then zero in on a potential target for a shot at higher mag.

If you shoot fixed range at a static paper/tin target then you may as well have fixed mag.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    3-9x40 perfect for me.

Leave it at 9x 95% of the time, wind it back to 3x for close up squizers/rats. KISS.

On target guns, fixed 10x is hard to beat (obviously not FT).

I do have a fixed 6x on my sirocco, and that's great, but I'd not push it past 35 yards; to be fair, that's generally far enough for 12 FP "field" gun anyways.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

My favourite scope is an old Tasco AG 2-7X32 probably dating from the 1970s. For most hunting situations you don't need more. Lovely piece of glass with a larger than normal eyepiece, definitely a keeper.
    She was only an Admiral's daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolkngood View Post
    My favourite scope is an old Tasco AG 2-7X32 probably dating from the 1970s. For most hunting situations you don't need more. Lovely piece of glass with a larger than normal eyepiece, definitely a keeper.

I have an old varmint at 2.5mag is my perfect ratting/barn tool, that sits on my .22 rapid set at 9ftlb, its taken countless rats over the years
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Like most shooting related questions the answer depends on how/what you use it for, in the field variable mag allows you to scan a field for movement on lowish mag then zero in on a potential target for a shot at higher mag.

If you shoot fixed range at a static paper/tin target then you may as well have fixed mag.
    Funny old game this I agree as I find the exact opposite, hunting is fixed for me and no more than 6mag duplex, benefits for me is the excellent FOV and quick target acquisition and I can almost rangefind through scope as Im familiar with target size in view and the thin/thick ret lines framing object and no faffing about focussing. Shooting paper and pellet testing I do find I use my variable mag as I can see group at say 50yds

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Harvey_s,

I usually buy fixed mag. scopes - as they are less complex (fewer lenses, fewer moving parts), you get (or should !!) a better built scope for a given price. compared to a 'zoom' scope.

I have mainly used 4x, 6x, 10x, & 20x fixed powers (4x for hunting (mostly rabbits), 6x (mostly pigeons), and 10x for HFT, 20x for F Class full-bore target rifle).

I have used one (1) variable power scope extensively, and that was the Simmons Whitetail Classic 1.5 --> 5 x20.

For me, this is a superb scope, and was the scope I most used for hunting - it was however, used almost exclusively at 3x.

So, for me, fixed power scopes are where its at

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Everyone have their own ideas and preferences. I personally only do vermin and occasional powder session at Bisley.
    For Air rifle I like 3-9X50AO for LR 4-12x50AO and 4-16x50SF for CF and happy with Dup-Plex or simple mildot but my preference doesn't reflect reality
    My air rifles range from 3-9x40AO to 4-16x42SF on the R7 FAC and powder 4.5-14x50AO up!!!!!!!
    My excuse is and no disrespect for those who do, as I said personal preference but personally am not keen on Chinese glass. My glass is older Japanese, Korean and Philippines hence mishaps mash
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.