Thread: Why is the sales section on here so disappointing at present?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You can hear an excuse not to buy something at every point in the year, I hear it all the time in my job.
    If somebody wants something, they will buy it no matter what time of the year.
    Those that have to pay for family hols and child care right now are probably not a customer for SH guns anyway.

I have a few thoughts about this;

Most of us that have been on this forum for sometime remember the older bbs sales days where sales threads were on page 3 after 30 mins

Sales were fast and frequent you had to be quick to say I’ll take it and there used to be loads of items floating around.

I guess it was a sign of the times as more choice started to appear from the other outlets which started to gather momentum eg freeads, gunstar, guntrader, other shooting forums etc so we started to reach saturation point which in turn obviously predictably slowed the sales on the bbs.

I don’t do Facebook but have heard there’s also dedicated sales sections on there so as above more choice perhaps.

Another thought is maybe we are at a point where perhaps new shooters requiring used items just isn’t as popular as it once was

I come from a motortrade background which is rife with going through sales slumps and seasonal sales etc

Possibly the gun trade is starting to get more noticeable peaks and troughs perhaps.

Could be all above and probably is
    2nd hand and far away posting as all ways been a pot mess personally on here I’ve never had a bad buy or sale.
    I realy think it’s down to priorities of what you have to spend here and now. And your responsibility me
    2nd hand Air gun stuff is low down the list summer holiday hi on list so if I’m right Holidays taken most of guys spare cash
    May be when we all get a pay rise LOL
    Last edited by Zero58; 16-08-2018 at 09:26 AM.
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member

its been said many times , its people wanting stuff for basically free. ive sold countless rifles over the last 3 years, about 20 id estimate , all on either freeads ,facebook or gunstar , they have all been one here ,and not one has sold as a result of being on here. but the other platforms are just as bad , ive had people low ball me, then we come to a price, they turn up and try for another 20 quid off, then get all pissy when i tell the to leave . im seliing a prosport , tx200 and hw97 , every where except on here , im in no rush and dont need the cash so im flat out ignoring anyone making offers . only want to sell 2 to buy a pcp but like i said, in no hurry at all

one last thing, the people who say " go on mate, knock 40 off as i'll have to collect and pay for fuel " !!! aye them !! they can effff right off! thats your problem, not mine !!! ( rant over lol )

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Have to agree with both Rapidnick and Sunbeam. The BBS used to be a great place to sell and if something was priced right or you were prepared to be flexible items would sell relatively quickly.

Sadly this is not the case anymore. It seems sometimes unless items are given away they end up unsold. I used to almost exclusively advertise on the BBS but that's not been the case of late, quite a lot of items have sold elsewhere for more than I had them for on the BBS.

I do watch the sales section quite a lot and I don't know if it's my imagination or not but there does seem to be more tyre kickers of late, this combined with the posting of "bad deal" threads on a seemingly more frequent basis may deter some members from posting in sales all together.

The BBS still remains a great forum with some top draw members but with regard to the sales section I don't know what can be done to reinvigorate it and return it to what it once was.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

I wonder if it's just as simple as less members using the forum ?
    It certainly seems to be the same core names that appear over & over.

The last rifle I tried to sell on here I used as a part-ex last week, expecting to be offered about half my price on here,
    In fact I was offered more than I would have cleared by the time I paid for post & RFD costs & obviously they still expect a profit when they sell it on

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I wonder if it's just as simple as less members using the forum ?
    It certainly seems to be the same core names that appear over & over.

The last rifle I tried to sell on here I used as a part-ex last week, expecting to be offered about half my price on here,
    In fact I was offered more than I would have cleared by the time I paid for post & RFD costs & obviously they still expect a profit when they sell it on
    Less Members is it, I think you nailed it there Mr Bear...

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Less Members is it, I think you nailed it there Mr Bear...
    I think everyone spent all their money at the Kempton arms fair
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    Those that have to pay for family hols and child care right now are probably not a customer for SH guns anyway.
    Don't agree with that assumption - my not-so-little ankle biters have really depleted the toy fund
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Don't agree with that assumption - my not-so-little ankle biters have really depleted the toy fund
    Mine too and they've left homejust a warning.

I seem to find a buyer for my stuff fast enough. I don't think I ask too much.

Old collector's are always tight and first to baulk at a price, because ten years ago they could get it for half that.
    New buyers are used to the retail shop price. Sadly, selling something pretty new is a heavy hit. 1/3rd if not 1/2 knocked off once left the car park with it.
    There are a lot of rifles, scopes, and toys to buy.

People are getting more educated and prepared to wait for the right one. Some kit can't be given away. Good kit holds its value well.

A very hot summer so everyone is out having fun. Shooting some of their kit. When winter comes they will be upgrading from what they have learnt.
    Holidays and kids then cash is in short supply.
    Trade fairs are getting better and many save for such events. Seeing items is important; few would buy blind today.

Sale section is fine, just in summer mode. Works for me.

BEESA is offline A Man walks in to a bar.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    That’s not the end of it mate . Just wait until the Grandchildren arrive 😂👍
    Don

I’m a relatively new vintage collector, and have bought a few items on here and have been very happy.
    Most have been for the going rate, but in great condition and things I’ve been on the lookout for for a while.

It seems to me though that unless you’re in the market for a particular item then you wouldn’t buy it, no matter how fair the price.
    If it was ‘going for a song’ then you might get people who weren’t really after one unable to resist buying it.

It’s just supply and demand, if someone wants it, they’ll buy it.

Doesn’t help that times are bit hard for some at the moment.

Incidentally I’ve collected a few items from members where convenient and have to say it’s always been a pleasure meeting them, and it’s nice know a bit of the items history.

Matt.