Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
Sorry for my late response to your post replying to mine. I'm not convinced that the barrel clamp isn't responsible so I strongly recommend you remove the barrel clamp entirely and run the gun with a free floating barrel. It is odd to think that a barrel can deteriorate without explanation to the extent you have experienced. Certainly any idea that the power plant is at fault can be confidently discarded.
Good luck-it must be very frustrating for you.
Thanks for your response. Will the free floating barrel have a better chance of being accurate? My sense was that the barrel band is just providing an attachment point to ensure that the barrelled action is fixed to the stock at two points. If I leave the band off the barrel, is there no other point that holds the action and barrel into the forestock?

The barrel deterioration has been relatively sudden, with no warning that the barrel was becoming defective in some way. Why can the power plant be eliminated as a possible culprit? Frustration is a very good word and it describes my lack of understanding... perfectly. Thanks for the good luck wishes.