Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
Good, I'm glad you found it funny as it's doing my bloody nut it

Not to sound to grumpy about the matter but nearly every thread that gets started with "what rifle" boils down to either a HW95 (for break barrels) or HW97 (for fixed barrels), so can we just save us all the agro and just put it up in lights for all to see, so we can all get on and continue slagging BSA's and Hatsans down as usual.
Do any of the current BSA range have a breech-bolt rather than a breech-pin? Given that an HW99 will need about 6 hours of fettling to get right, and an HW95 will need about 3 plus a short stroke conversion, it actually is starting to make sense to try a BSA. The spec of the Lighting XL is really very good value for money and I am thinking that if it HAS got a breech bolt then if one was to buy one and spend 6 hours tweaking it, it would match the HWs in most respects while being nicer and lighter to hold and to look at.

The issue of the Rekord trigger often comes up, but lesser triggers can be used to great effect with enough practice. The HW80 never beat the Feinwerkbau Sport consistently, because the Sport is inherently the more accurate rifle, IN SPITE OF its rather crude trigger.

So Pete may well be right. A top of the range BSA break-barrel Lightning XL SE from the SGC is £255, compared to the HW95 at £300 and HW99 at £220. With fettling and guides, the cost could be £280 for the BSA and £330 for the HW plus the time taken...