Thread: Hw99 stripdown

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hw99 stripdown

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Only 'cos you haven't mentioned it. Beware the windows in the tube for trigger block etc. They can wreak havoc on seal lip when refitting.
    A good smoothing of edges and consider thin sleeve to get the seal past them. Old film negative etc
    Granny, eggs, and all that
    This is the most important bit, i had an ongoing battle with my old bsa 635 magnum because i failed to notice a sharp burr on both sides of the cocking slot that was cutting two slits in the o ring everytime i fitted a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    This is the most important bit, i had an ongoing battle with my old bsa 635 magnum because i failed to notice a sharp burr on both sides of the cocking slot that was cutting two slits in the o ring everytime i fitted a new one.
    Been to pick it up he was inviting deliveries but the spring was on the counter he's fitting it at home and setting it at 10.6/10.7 for me so when it settles down should be 10.8/10.9 hopefully then get out off running and I should be happy ...... Doubt it there's always room for improvement haha

Called down to get the 99 and he wasn't happy with the cocking effort or the snappyness of firing cycle and asked if I can leave it til Monday and hell get it right if not he will order another mainspring but a genuine hw one (which from what I've read there's not much better) instead of the titan no1. so I'm still gunless at the min and dying to get out shooting

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Lots on the web about the listed Titan spring being too much (no.1)... IIRC I've seen 5, 13 and 10 all listed as being useable in the 99 albeit with shortening required on the first 2...

I said that to him but as they only list the no1 that's what he got in. I said to him if it's twangy harsh and harder to cock it won't be leaving the shop too it's right so sorting it out. It was a lot more sedate and no twang at all with the broken spring. The breaks were at the spring guide end. Nearly set my tennis elbow off trying to cock it today lol

Been back to the shop again still not done it will be weds now he's had to order a hw mainspring. Better be right wen i go down on weds not happy at all lads off school wanting to get out shooting

I’ll never use him again or recommend the shop, but hope you get sorted. Atb mick

Quote Originally Posted by Kalibrgun View Post
    Been back to the shop again still not done it will be weds now he's had to order a hw mainspring. Better be right wen i go down on weds not happy at all lads off school wanting to get out shooting
    If he has the spring on Wednesday but hasn't fitted it, I'd be tempted to take it home and fit the new spring myself. After all, you now know how to work on it and can take a little extra time finishing / polishing spring ends etc.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

As above, at least you know it’s done proper.atb mick

Got he rifle back today after having an accident and been laid up a few days. Well owe it shoot .... Like a sack of sh#@ twangy as hel l and hard to cock this is with what's supposed to be a hw spring I've stripped it took loads of grease out the spring guide falls out and the preload is ridiculous the spring is flush with the end of the cylinder and I havn t got the strength in my shoulder to get the tw@t back in .... Not a happy bunny at all its on the 2nd replacement mainspring and is worse than when it started out. I've well and truly given up. It's thrown in the cupboard to forget about I'll Buy something else after xmas

That’s not good at all,surely can’t be too difficult for a gunsmith. Like i said I’d never take anything or recommend them to anyone. Look Ryan booth up top lad. Atb mick