Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hw 90 gas ram pros cons ?

Quote Originally Posted by jjjohn View Post
    It's nice to know not everyone has fillings ,I don't either.I used to however they all fell out after shooting the HW90 ;-)
    There was something up with it then because they are very smooth in 22. Not tried a 177 but obviously won't be quite as nice as a 22.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I've had a few and they were ok, it's just that for me they didn't do anything an HW80 couldn't do as well or better.

Having said that, if a TB version came along in .22 I would grab it!

Your just miffed because you can't sell a guide kit for one which is what an 80 needs to get it near as good
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    There was something up with it then because they are very smooth in 22. Not tried a 177 but obviously won't be quite as nice as a 22.
    my .177 is smooth and accurate too.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Your just miffed because you can't sell a guide kit for one which is what an 80 needs to get it near as good

Oddly we have made and sold spring conversion kits for these. If I got another it would stay a rammer

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I've had a few and they were ok, it's just that for me they didn't do anything an HW80 couldn't do as well or better.

Having said that, if a TB version came along in .22 I would grab it!
    The 80 is a great airgun but needs extensive tuning before it shoots as smooth as the 90, i remember years back when theoben came up with a gasram conversion kit for the HW80 and charged a fortune for it, looking back you have to think what was the point when you could just buy the HW90😂😂

Dave.

Hw90

I had a Theoben Country man then I discovered a HW90TB. The theoben was sold a week after the HW90TB arrived. Mach 1.5

I have a few theoben rammers and one is the hw90tb. Trigger is way better than the theoben units.

thanks for the imput looks like there has been some good and not to good experiences with the gas ram 90 , would take it the TB is the older version was a bit better than the new looking at the time line some mention and not the air filled hw one , well after some vids and other hw product reviews , looks like i will go for the hw95 k so thanks for the advice and the views of the pros and cons , always better to ask opinions before purchase thanks bear
    Tempest .22, BSA Lightning(delux) .22 ,HW 80 K .22 Sako finn fire .22rf, Browning Buckmark 22rf , BSA 22 Hornet centre fire ,Winchester s/a mod 1400 12 bore, Winchester select light 12 bore J Manton hammer side bee side 12 bore and a 410 hushpower, BASC MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    thanks for the imput looks like there has been some good and not to good experiences with the gas ram 90 , would take it the TB is the older version was a bit better than the new looking at the time line some mention and not the air filled hw one , well after some vids and other hw product reviews , looks like i will go for the hw95 k so thanks for the advice and the views of the pros and cons , always better to ask opinions before purchase thanks bear
    The TB was the Theoben-offered (TB, see) special with a walnut custom stock, carbine barrel and TB silencer.

There was also a similar but different “Euro Custom”, which I think was again a Theoben-supplied model.

I once knew the differences between the two, but have forgotten. Anyway, they are definitely nicer than the standard HW90, and quite rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    The TB was the Theoben-offered (TB, see) special with a walnut custom stock, carbine barrel and TB silencer.

There was also a similar but different “Euro Custom”, which I think was again a Theoben-supplied model.

I once knew the differences between the two, but have forgotten. Anyway, they are definitely nicer than the standard HW90, and quite rare.
    The euro custom have a high grade walnut stock which is either right or lefthanded. The Tb like i have has a ambidextrous stock. The euro custom stock is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    The euro custom have a high grade walnut stock which is either right or lefthanded. The Tb like i have has a ambidextrous stock. The euro custom stock is beautiful.
    Thanks. I think they also may differ slightly (beyond LH/RH vs ambi) in perhaps the profile of the fore-end, and/or the chequering? But I may be hallucinating that.

Anyway, they are both rare and rather lovely.

CannonFodder is offline Brown envelope round the back Squire...
    I owned a Theoben Evolution and a BSA Lightning with a Theoben gas strut I fitted, have also shot a HW90 a few times.

I have found gas rams very different to shoot compared to springers.

They have a very quick action, which can be described as 'snappy'.

Once you get used to it though, it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Thanks. I think they also may differ slightly (beyond LH/RH vs ambi) in perhaps the profile of the fore-end, and/or the chequering? But I may be hallucinating that.

Anyway, they are both rare and rather lovely.
    Yes the stock profile is totally different on the euro. Looks like the cheekpiece is higher also. The stock looks stunning on the euro custom compared to my tb

Yikes, choosing a 95 over a 90. It's like jumping out the frying pan into the fire.

The 90 is in a class of it's own. I like them a lot for they are so easy to shoot well. Opinion, a fast shot cycle can be worded to be snappy and the what you cannot do to one is then described as boring. I have had one for years and loving the no maintenance. If you are a fettler and wants to tweak it every other weekend, then this really is a boring gun. You really leave it alone. The trigger is perfect fine and way better than the Theobens (shameful!!). All in all, the hw90 of old is worthy to have.

Some will insist on the joy of springers. It can have more character and will definitely fill hours upon hours of tinkering for being a grown up Meccano set. Machine parts and tweak to your heart content and if you don't like something or you feel inadequate, spend some more money on alternative kits and innards. I am in the camp of 'if it's not broken, don't fix it', but I know some insist on blue printing their springer to what they believe to the best.

I like my rammers and I currently have 2xhw90 and 5xTheobens. I rate the hw90's over the Theobens in overall handling. One hw90 is in .20 and the other in .25cal. Both shoots wonderfully and without fuss. Clean shooter and simple.

I also have 5xhw95's. Boy, each being very trying. Tried to set them up in different ways with various kits and they are still hold sensitive. I have now managed to get them all shooting about right but you are constantly reminded that you need to be on top form to eek out a string of one holers. The 95 will catch you out. At first, you may find the challenge of a 95 fun until it catches you out.

Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    They have a very quick action, which can be described as 'snappy'.

Once you get used to it though, it's fine.
    I tried to get used to my .177 Evolution at several times over many years.
    The snappy recoil could be acceptabe if the gun didnt throw shots way off target.
    Traded it recently for a new old stock HW85