Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neck Turning - Donut Removal

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    Mmm.. Maybe eh. Probably half a dozen maybe.
    That's quite a bit of trimming, any signs of bright rings up near the case head. Id be looking at new brass myself as a simple fix.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    You need a neck reamer then and not a neck turner. Why take brass off the outside of the neck when it is forming at the shoulder/neck junction? The doughnut will still be there.

Usually you only need to neck turn for a tight neck in the chamber or possibly to lightly true up the necks on some cases, but if it is all down to flow, it will just re-occur anyway as the brass flows forward into the neck. The errors in concentricity start back in the case body where one side might be thicker than the other and this simply extrudes forwards, so it will re-occur evetually if you just neck turn.

If you are worried about incipient head seperation use a piece of wire with a bend and run it over the inside of the case, you will feel it before you see it by which time its replacement time.

I have had 2 cases of head sep.

In .303 where I FL re-sized. Neck only prevented it and I assume the chamber dims were a bit generous as the head spacing was ok

In 5.56x45 where I swapped FL dies and did not set the new one up properly and over bumped the shoulders back. A Dillon gaugue soon showed the error and it was sorted.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    You need a neck reamer then and not a neck turner. Why take brass off the outside of the neck when it is forming at the shoulder/neck junction? The doughnut will still be there.
    Yes, that sounds like what I need. Where would I get one?

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

Forster make them. Try Hannams.

Honestly though very few people ever suffer from it and you dont see many people messing with neck turning etc outside of wildcats and Benchrest/F.

Are you neck sizing only, and if so are you going right back to the shoulder junction?

You really shouldn't have this issue.

How hot are your loads?

All that brass comes from somewhere, I would double check everything you're doing before something seperates.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post

How hot are your loads?

All that brass comes from somewhere, I would double check everything you're doing before something seperates.
    Within book max, so not too hot.

I'm a pretty competent reloader, I just want to extract that bit more accuracy and I figured neck turning/reaming could improve things for me.

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

Neck turning will give you more consistent neck tension only if you use bushing dies, using bushing dies without neck turning defeats the object of bushing dies because of variations in neck wall thickness, with unturned cases standard dies with a sizing button will give more consistent neck tension then bushing dies. If you get a donut form, KM neck turner mandrels are available with a built in donut cutter. Neck reaming will not remove case neck thickness variations, it is really only used when necking down cases to smaller calibres and then combined with neck turning

TB.

I have to neck turn brass for my 20ppc although it was meant to be a no turn neck. You need to be careful neck turning unless you have a tight chamber as if you take too much off and your reloading dies are normal size you won't get the neck tension. I know from experience as I've ruined a few pieces of brass.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post

How hot are your loads?

Fair comment.

I did not check the shoulder bump on my 5.56 NATO loads after changing over to another die and ended up with a separated case in a comp. I have had the rifle re barelled since and it has a different chamber profile (to allow for hot service ammo to extract easilly) which works well but again I have to reduce my bumping back/FL die setting.

neck turning

I have some k an M neck turning and neck reaming in a box somewhere
    Message me tomorrow when I have time to root it out.
    John F.

Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    I have some k an M neck turning and neck reaming in a box somewhere
    Message me tomorrow when I have time to root it out.
    John F.
    Have found the above mentioned items,they are for 6mm cases.
    John F.

Why specifically would you find a dougnut in a cartridge and not say...a sausage roll? This demonstrates wonton lack of pastry control IMHO