Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley & Scott Tracker.

Webley & Scott Tracker.

Well I've been nosing around the local car boot sale every Sunday for months now in the hope of finding an old Beesa or something and seen exactly nowt. Until today!!!

Partially obscured by a pile of old clothes I saw a Webley butt plate attached to a rather nasty bit of wood. Pulling it out of the pile, lo and behold out comes a (very) tatty Tracker in .22.

Now when I say very tatty I do mean very tatty

So from the piccies you can see the delights I'm going to have restoring it (this will be my first ever project so I'll no doubt be bugging Raygun among others with questions )

The stock has a tiny crack in the forend (too small to photograph tbh) And needs stripping and restaining etc. (No biggie, done this before)
    The front and rear sights are both missing and the tap leaver is broken (although operational via a screw)
    (Ad in wanted section for the above, hint, hint )

The really big job is as you can see the metalwork Some kind soul has thoroughly abused this rifle and not only is it scratched to $##% but has been lovingly touched up with what looks like Humbrol enamel paint, luckily there isn't a huge amount of rust anywhere. Now I'm not after returning this to showroom condition but would like it to look presentable so I'm after suggestions on what to do. Strip it right back and carefully spray paint has been one suggestion (I can hear the thud of people fainting in horror already )
    I'm not sure on the cost of getting it reblued professionally but I imagine it would be high?

I chronoed it before I went to work this morning and it's running at a poorly 5.5 ft/lbf, but as yet I've not stripped it out to look at the piston head and spring etc to gauge exactly why. I believe the Titan XS 7 (for the HW35) will fit in here as well (no I don't want a ram.)

Anyway there you go gents, any suggestions on what to do about the metalwork would be great and I'll try and keep this updated when I get round to stripping etc

Piccies (almost forgot doh!)

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/9352/13092009136.jpg
    http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/7121/13092009135.jpg
    http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/9742/13092009134.jpg
    http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/5173/13092009133.jpg
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/305/13092009132.jpg
    http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9973/13092009131.jpg

Oh you lucky ...! I have always liked this rifle and just got the opportunity to hold a minter! I refer you to Mike!

Still trying to tease that Mint BSA Meteor from you!!!!!!!!

Regards Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ulverston View Post
    Oh you lucky ...! I have always liked this rifle and just got the opportunity to hold a minter! I refer you to Mike!
    It doesn't happen very often (I usually get stung and buy complete tat at least this works and was a real bargain!)

Does anybody know if the Front and rear sights from the Webley Osprey are the same as the Tracker??

The front and rear sights are both missing
    I have one or both of these left over from a restoration a while back, Pm me your addy and I'll send them on.

No charge, but if you felt like making a small donation to this excellent hospice, I wouldn't stop you. http://www.strichards.org.uk/ (might be an idea to wait until I've found the sights though...)
    Morally flawed

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    I have one or both of these left over from a restoration a while back, Pm me your addy and I'll send them on.

No charge, but if you felt like making a small donation to this excellent hospice, I wouldn't stop you. http://www.strichards.org.uk/ (might be an idea to wait until I've found the sights though...)
    Jerry you are a diamond. PM inbound.

Webley Spares

Hi Guys,

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've just been on Fleabay and there's a few bits and pieces on there for the Mark 1 and also for the Vulcan if any one's interested, along with breech seals and piston washers for the Exocet etc.

Cheers

Griff

Hi,
    I think I'd go for a Pad E type respray-these rifles look excellent with the barrel shortened and a silencer fitted! If your breathing new life into it you cant go wrong.

I believe the Titan XS 7 (for the HW35) will fit in here as well (no I don't want a ram.)

hi, titan xs no7 is correct, but not for a hw35 , thats a no4, think the 35 spring might be a touch too big
    atb
    paul
    hw 80custom, , hw 35 luxus, hw35 std,

Quote Originally Posted by yoshiwolves View Post
    I believe the Titan XS 7 (for the HW35) will fit in here as well (no I don't want a ram.)

hi, titan xs no7 is correct, but not for a hw35 , thats a no4, think the 35 spring might be a touch too big
    atb
    paul
    Oops yes it's the one for the HW30/HW55
    I would blame a typo but it's me misreading a post in reality

Quote Originally Posted by Ulverston View Post
    Hi,
    I think I'd go for a Pad E type respray-these rifles look excellent with the barrel shortened and a silencer fitted! If your breathing new life into it you cant go wrong.
    I may drop Pad E a pm to get some pointers on spraying the metal, cheers I hadn't thought about him

Well I'm glad I paid next to nowt for this, I've stripped the stock and 95% stripped the action to bare metal for respraying and..... the bloomin barrel is bent

It's canted over about 4-5mm to the left

It appears to be bent at the point the barrel enters the action (if you look down the barrel, the transfer port appears to be offset to one side) so hopefully should bend back.

Time for a little brute force and ignorance on it I guess (fingers crossed )

thats one of the very first trackers by the look, you should be able to straighten the barrel but it looks like a complete new tap would be a good investment!
    Personally I would'nt shorten the barrel, a bit of weight is beneficial at the front of these I know from experience after turning up several muzzle weights for one to test accuracy!

unfortunatly its the tap thats the biggest handicap accuracy wise, it takes a lot of fine tuning the line them up correctly so they dont damage the pellet on firing!

Cheers Bodger, I think the tap may well be alright, I checked the alignment with a fibre optic bore light and it looks spot on but obviously I need to check it in a real situation to confirm that.

Ian check the bore and the outide face of the tap, if its scored they tend to leak, the only answer then is to hone the bore out and have a new one made up!