Thread: What are the odds - reuniting a Transitional 1946? Webley Senior to its proper box!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Would that be the period oil can or by early post war were the screw on spout cans available?
    Hello,

A few photos of Webley oil cans with the pre-war 'Valvespout' can as depicted on the lid of your box pictured next to the collage and the immediate post-war can next to that. The 'Valvespout' can is by far the rarest in the UK with the 'Reversible Spout' pictured as the background to the collage being the hardest of the post-war cans to find in my experience anyway.

As you are already aware, Webley were notoriously slow in updating the images on their catalogues and boxes, so the box would most likely have been produced later than the picture of the oil can on the lid.

Happy Christmas

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 15-12-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hello,

A few photos of Webley oil cans with the pre-war 'Valvespout' can as depicted on the lid of your box pictured next to the collage and the immediate post-war can next to that. The 'Valvespout' can is by far the rarest in the UK with the 'Reversible Spout' pictured as the background to the collage being the hardest of the post-war cans to find in my experience anyway.

As you are already aware, Webley were notoriously slow in updating the images on their catalogues and boxes, so the box would most likely have been produced later than the picture of the oil can on the lid.

Happy Christmas

Brian
    I actually had a chance to buy the oil can with the spout attached to the cap about a month ago. The price got up to $150 and I just couldn’t do it. Rather put the money in a gun!

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I actually had a chance to buy the oil can with the spout attached to the cap about a month ago. The price got up to $150 and I just couldn’t do it. Rather put the money in a gun!
    Hi,

I know what you mean as here in the UK the cost of acquiring rare packaging and accessories can often exceed the price of an associated pistol in quite reasonable condition. Still, there is definitely something very satisfying when you are able to compose a contemporary set when the pistol is cased.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi,

I know what you mean as here in the UK the cost of acquiring rare packaging and accessories can often exceed the price of an associated pistol in quite reasonable condition. Still, there is definitely something very satisfying when you are able to compose a contemporary set when the pistol is cased.

Brian
    That is so nice. Problem in US is these items are even more difficult if not impossible to obtain, the oil can I passed on was from Canada.
    Last edited by 45flint; 15-12-2018 at 06:51 PM.