Thread: Why I am Beginning To Change My Mind About Sub12 Hunting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    When you take on board the fact that a 1 mph side wind - which you can barely even feel - will make your pellet drift half an inch at 50 yards, and that's half your kill zone, you start to realise the limitations in anything but ideal conditions.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    When you take on board the fact that a 1 mph side wind - which you can barely even feel - will make your pellet drift half an inch at 50 yards, and that's half your kill zone, you start to realise the limitations in anything but ideal conditions.
    And this is but one of the situations where experience does come into play.
    An experienced shot will be able to compensate for any wind and decide whether the shot should indeed be taken at all.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    And this is but one of the situations where experience does come into play.
    An experienced shot will be able to compensate for any wind and decide whether the shot should indeed be taken at all.
    Maybe not Rob, if we're talking of a 1mph wind, i challenge anyone to be able to detect that. Also take into account that whatever wind is felt by the shooter won't necessarily be the same 20 yards out.

Let's not allow this to spiral into a sub 12ftlb long range hunting thread as it's been unequivocally proven to be irresponsible.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

If you are a top shot, FT or one of the other disciplines, and can hit paper targets out to 60m, then 1/3 is 40m in the field. Thats 15m beyond the farmyard 25m. 40m is long enough when all other factors are taken into account.
    With 12ft/lbs air rifles I stick with shooting within the farmyard though I do have a bedroom window shoot into my garden that is up to 33m (I have a bedroom rifle just for that; I have a lot of rabbits getting into my garden, and yes my wife does make comments). But thats my limit.
    Know your kit, know your limits, your call. Be a sportsman not a chancer.

For the rest, open farmland, its rimfires and centrefires for me. And they are limited in the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Maybe not Rob, if we're talking of a 1mph wind, i challenge anyone to be able to detect that. Also take into account that whatever wind is felt by the shooter won't necessarily be the same 20 yards out.

Let's not allow this to spiral into a sub 12ftlb long range hunting thread as it's been unequivocally proven to be irresponsible.
    I shoot target more often these days Chris. There is no way that I could read the wind at 70 yards. I know the gun is laser accurate even at 90 yards and I know that I have made the calculations and all that but I still miss now and then.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

I was entering into no such subject as distance. Nobby quoted distance not I.
    What I was saying was its an experienced shooters call.
    B.A.S.C. member

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Its amazing how some of you experienced hunters can predict the wind speed both where you are and at the target and predict when a animal is going to keep still and not be startled by surrounding noises and not call it luck, it must be nice to have such a high opinion of yourself

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Its amazing how some of you experienced hunters can predict the wind speed both where you are and at the target and predict when a animal is going to keep still and not be startled by surrounding noises and not call it luck, it must be nice to have such a high opinion of yourself
    It must be nice to have such a condescending attitude to other people too. We have taken the time and trouble to explain how we get the shots. Please remember a sudden noise will also alert the shooter, who will decide not to take the shot until the prey is settled again. It can be frustrating when you have a fool with a 12 bore letting loose at shadows a few fields away, but patience is a virtue.

Genuine question Barry - Do you hunt? If so, what do you use?

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    Genuine question Barry - Do you hunt? If so, what do you use?
    I was a hunter but not now especially after watching Richard Dawkins explaining that animals could feel more pain than humans. For me airgunning is for fun and enjoyment. I didn't think 11 ft/lb was enough and I still don't I think hunters should be looking at 17 plus ft/lb but even then a clean kill is part luck.
    secretagentmole says that I have a condescending attitude but I am the opposite I don't think that I am superior enough to make a clean kill every time without luck there are just to many variables and to me it looks the same for everyone else even though skill and experience has some advantages.

Thumbs up

I was a hunter but not now especially after watching Richard Dawkins explaining that animals could feel more pain than humans. For me airgunning is for fun and enjoyment. I didn't think 11 ft/lb was enough and I still don't I think hunters should be looking at 17 plus ft/lb but even then a clean kill is part luck.
    secretagentmole says that I have a condescending attitude but I am the opposite I don't think that I am superior enough to make a clean kill every time without luck there are just to many variables and to me it looks the same for everyone else even though skill and experience has some advantages.
    Fair comment - thanks for the answer.

All of the above.

Genuine question Barry - Do you own a Rottweiler?

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Genuine question Barry - Do you own a Rottweiler?
    Yes

I like the breed too, but would never own one. The reason is one of my old Sergeants had them, had them thirty plus years. Loved them to pieces but always said they were like carrying a cocked pistol in public. Didn't matter how placid, kid loving they were, they could just snap. More than able to take someones arm off. He was a powerful man but admitted he would struggle if they kicked off. He was on the ball with them all the time, and very experienced reading them. His were so soppy.....

Now I'm happy for you to own a Rottweiller, and you don't have to hunt, nor be particularly keen for 12ft/lbs farmyard critter hunting, but please! I'll take responsibility for my wind call over a Rottweiler any time.
    Both come with responsibility. I am sure we both are.
    Last edited by Muskett; 21-06-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Yes
    Genuine question, Barry - does your Rottweiler shoot?
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.