Thread: In praise of the pistol scope

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    I had one on an Alecto, and it certainly helped get the most out of it accuracy-wise, to the extent that I would almost have considered using it for pest control at short ranges.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by mikehill View Post
    Hate them. If you want to shoot pistol for the challenge then why make it easier ? Just go back to benchrest rifles.

Kinda tongue in cheek.
    I'm in two minds about this. I still have young eyes and I just struggle to see how you could see a 2 inch reset-able target at 40 yards with iron sights so that you could hit it consistently. I imagine there are a handful of people who can do it but I don't think I'll ever get close to that level (cans at 30 yards with the pistol scope still present a reasonable challenge at the moment) and if I'm honest I feel like I'd have to see it to believe it haha

For me, the pistol scope provides just the right level of challenge and satisfaction for long range shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I hate them too, in general.

However, I have a .20" Crosman SSP-250, and a Weaver 1.5-4x20 that are probably made for each other. Will give it a go soon.

So, I hate them, except on big long heavy pistols that are probably best used rested and slow, rather than handheld and quick.

But iron sights are no bar to good pistol shooting at range. Unfortunate that the Benji/Sheri EB ones are so poor.
    Ditto above... please report back how you find it. As it happens I actually really like the look of a pistol scope on a nice pistol - each to their own I guess

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    I had one on an Alecto, and it certainly helped get the most out of it accuracy-wise, to the extent that I would almost have considered using it for pest control at short ranges.
    Yeah I imagine the combination of the Alecto's trigger and recoil-less firing cycle would have made it a lovely pairing. I don't want to open a can of worms with the whole pistols for pest control but needless to say I think that inside around 7-8 yards they are more than adequate with practice where sub 1/2" groups are not at all difficult (provided they have ample power of course). It goes without saying to use a rifle where possible but sometimes e.g. inside a loft or shed that just isn't practical.

Of course I only paper punch at 10m ... and the one mouse