Thread: A 'How to' guide to sharpening a knife the traditional way.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Diamond stones are very harsh on the blade steel. If you want to preserve your blade for maximum life, whilst keeping it at it's sharpest, then I really would use something more traditional.

Diamond stones are fine for plane irons and such, as they don't lose their flatness due to wear.

Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

llanvihangel crucorney (near Abergavenny)
    been using diamond stones for years, never had a problem with them wearing blades out, used on my leatherman , which i use for work daily , and no probs at all , have also got some fancy knives for shooting, and as long as your sensible , gives a longlasting keen edge.

Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post
    Diamond stones are very harsh on the blade steel. If you want to preserve your blade for maximum life, whilst keeping it at it's sharpest, then I really would use something more traditional.

Diamond stones are fine for plane irons and such, as they don't lose their flatness due to wear.

thought id have a quick say on this subject
    i have been a butcher for more years than i dare say (about 15/20) !!! we still only use the traditional steel if this is used regulary it will keep a keen edge on any knife i only grind my knives once a year (with an oil stone) i can keep a boneing (skining knife ) for 3 to 4 years to give a clue that one knife would bone out /cut 2whole cows/40-50lambs/8-10pigs a week