Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MDE bottle valve question.

Hi this is a short quick update, more tomorrow. I phoned MDE sales department and said that I had looked at there web site and could they confirm that there Jubilee valve had a restrictor in to enable slow filling of a PCP rifle, "answer --------- the first one they brought out was very slow so was changed to a slightly faster feed." He said ' well it stops when it's full!!!!!!!'
    Me. You mean that it will stop at 300 bar.
    Him, 'Yes.'
    Me, ' That's not a lot of good when the max pressure ( of the rifle) is 200 bar.'
    Him, ' No err humm etc.'
    Me. 'asking how slow was slow?'
    Him, ' I dont know what the pressure is ------------ I will put you through to technical.'

This was after quoting nearly £300 for a valve, AND BOTTLE after I had plainly told him it was the valve only that I wanted for one of there bottles!

Technical.
    Yes the valves DO HAVE RESTRICTORS in them, they do not supply to the public and they do not have a supply until November.
    I would have to take the bottle to a dive shop to have one fitted. OK I can see the reason why, safety.

I could not get through to Best fittings today.

Be back as soon as I have anything more to report.
    Thank you all.
    Geoff.

Take the bottle down the M5 and go and see John at JR Services, Kentisbeare, just off J28. He is the master.

Tel 01884 266400 and say Rich from Shebbear sent you.

Call tomorrow, Monday is his day off.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

I have the same issue with a stumpy 3L bottle I bought recently.
    It would just fill too quick no matter what I did.
    In the end I bought the Best Fittings quick fittings kit and that has a restrictor built into it.
    Now it works much much better and you can do a controlled fill.
    My old 7L bottle was slow fill so must have had a restrictor in it already.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff555 View Post
    Thanks everybody, to be honest I thought it was me, not exactly cack handed but as a 'first timer' with PCP stuff I did not know what to expect. I was more than surprised to say the least at the rapid release of air.
    I did thank goodness I did manage to stop at 190 bar but it was very much more luck than anything else. If the restricted valve is not longer available then perhaps there should be a WARNING about this. Everything I had read about the 'Jubilee valve' suggested that it's primary purpose was to supply a controlled SLOW supply of air. I will investigate further and come back with any results both good or bad. It will be a week or so.
    Thank you again.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.
    Hi Geoff that is exactly the point of the jubilee valve, & as I said previously if it was sold as a jubilee & you wanted & expected a jubilee but that is not what you have received then it was sold under a false description and you should demand either what you paid for or a full refund to buy the correct item from elsewhere.

Thank you all, I can see a trip coming on tomorrow. Matters will be taken further with the supplier re. a refund for the valve.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

Fair enough.
    But as stated above I think a Best Fittings quick coupler kit should tame the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Fair enough.
    But as stated above I think a Best Fittings quick coupler kit should tame the beast.
    Yep,good kit for £20 and if you fill more than one rifle it cuts out the hassle of changing adapters.
    Also comes with a blanking plug so you can see how much air is left in your bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff555 View Post
    Thank you all, I can see a trip coming on tomorrow. Matters will be taken further with the supplier re. a refund for the valve.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.
    Hope you get it sorted soon.

If Midland are supplying these 'fierce' valves to gunshops, I imagine there's going to be lots of complaints.
    A valve as you describe is not acceptable for the purpose of filling airguns IMHO.

I know that some filling adapters I've bought from Best Fittings have included a restrictor.
    But a restrictor on the 'fill valve end' is possibly not really a cure for the main cylinder valve being too fierce/fast.

For information: I've received a BF fill adapter in the post today (AirArms early model) which doesn't have a restrictor with it.
    However, one of my previous purchases (it was either a HW100 or a Logun/FX adapter. Can't remember which) did have a restrictor. With instructions reccomending to fit it if using a dive cylinder, or leave it out if using a hand pump.

Hope this helps - a bit - but you seem 'tee'd off' about it. And rightly so IMHO

In any event very good kit to get and good value.
    The hose fitting does Daystate and Brocock without adaptor.
    Which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by smallman28 View Post
    Yep,good kit for £20 and if you fill more than one rifle it cuts out the hassle of changing adapters.
    Also comes with a blanking plug so you can see how much air is left in your bottle.
    thats sounds very good having a wheirauch and a bsa(the bsa adapter in the wheirauch is dodgy !) ....does it have a restrictor in it somewhere then ?
    thaks in advance , rich.
    gat gun .25 cal

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Hope you get it sorted soon.

If Midland are supplying these 'fierce' valves to gunshops, I imagine there's going to be lots of complaints.
    A valve as you describe is not acceptable for the purpose of filling airguns IMHO.

I know that some filling adapters I've bought from Best Fittings have included a restrictor.
    But a restrictor on the 'fill valve end' is possibly not really a cure for the main cylinder valve being too fierce/fast.

For information: I've received a BF fill adapter in the post today (AirArms early model) which doesn't have a restrictor with it.
    However, one of my previous purchases (it was either a HW100 or a Logun/FX adapter. Can't remember which) did have a restrictor. With instructions reccomending to fit it if using a dive cylinder, or leave it out if using a hand pump.

Hope this helps - a bit - but you seem 'tee'd off' about it. And rightly so IMHO
    I have a restrictor in my gun connector daystate the same as the one that best fittings sell and the problem is there even with it fitted can't fill it slow, it's all done in the time it takes to shut it off when opened and that's pretty damn quick. Steve
    Steevie Dan The Shooting Man,

Year's ago MDE used to use machined acetal as the threaded seat in all diving valves these you could open slowly and regulate the flow without a restrictor but now they use a moulded nylon seat that has a habit of gripping the raised sealing ridge in the valve , So now the valve feels as tight as buggery and then suddenly lets go of the seal ridge causing you to suddenly open to a very fast flow.
    I worked at MDE for 13 years.

Don't get this problem with the SAN O SUB airgun valve looks better too wish I had gone for that now. Come on MDE give us what we need your valve is more money too. I recently had 5 carbon fibre tanks converted into air gun charging kits by my dive shop fitted with the SAN o SUB airgun valves no problem with any of them supplied by Best Fittings.

Hello all.An update but first a big thank you for the facts about the move from acetal to nylon, this makes complete sense as this sudden release is precisely how it feels, I had a call from Best fittings this morning having sent them an email yesterday detailing the problem and asking if they would send me a valve ( MDE would not.) No problem at all. The facts are that the early valves had a restricter that was in effect a very fine hole, this meant that a 'trickle' of air was possible but over a period of time it was possible that the hole could become closed up, so the answer adopted by MDE was to cure the problem by making the hole bigger BUT that meant that although the flow was restricted the effect was to make the flow almost the same as not having any restriction at all. This combined with a 'sticky' valve gives the problem that some of us are suffering from now.
    Best fittings, upon request, WILL MODIFY the valves they supply, to give a slow controlled supply of air.

I have the impression that it will be well worth having a chat to them re: sending them your valve.
    They are working on a design on having a valve that can be adjusted externally to slow fill or to give a "full blast" that is required by some models of rifle if the air has gone very low or empty. ( air arms? I cant remember, sorry.)
    So there you go.
    I was a bit miffed because to me buying a rifle and the kit was a major outlay, it has not been a good year financially and having come close to causing damage to something that had had less than 50 pellets through it did not go down well.
    Many thanks Rich about the tip to go and see John, it is much appreciated but in lue of what I have learnt I think I have it sorted. But I will keep him in mind and have a chat later.

Many thanks to BEST fittings for there help and insight.
    Thank you all for your help and advice, I hope that this has been of some help.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

MDE have agreed to swap my valve for the older one if I send back the bottle/valve to them lets see if that helps. That is more help than I got from Blackpool air rifles. Steve