Thread: Nitro in a BP revolver.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    As most of you guys know, there are several companies in the US that manufacture nitro conversions for most BP revolvers. The frame and barrel of a BP revolver will apparently take the extra stresses of nitro but the cylinder will not which is why these conversions are basically a stronger cylinder and separate back plate which holds the shotgun primers. If you look at the cylinder walls on say a 44 BP revolver and compare to a 44 nitro revolver cylinder you will see the BP cylinder walls at the front are thinner. Edited in: Just to clarify, the back plate I referred to above DOES NOT take shotgun primers, they have five or six firing pins depending on which model of conversion you go for. These conversions I'm talking about allow the use of metallic cartridges. Sorry if I caused a bit of confusion there, I think the lockdown is getting to me...
    Last edited by vbull; 21-04-2020 at 09:04 AM.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    As most of you guys know, there are several companies in the US that manufacture nitro conversions for most BP revolvers. The frame and barrel of a BP revolver will apparently take the extra pressures but the cylinder will not which is why these conversions are basically a stronger cylinder and separate back plate which holds the shotgun primers. If you look at the cylinder walls on say a 44 BP revolver and compare to a 44 nitro revolver cylinder you will see the BP cylinder walls at the front are thinner.
    love to have one on my 1858 but sadly we cannot even though brownells uk do sell them i believe

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    love to have one on my 1858 but sadly we cannot even though brownells uk do sell them i believe
    Section 5 over here unfortunately..

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    Section 5 over here unfortunately..
    Are you sure? What about Westlake and Anvil conversions?

Quote Originally Posted by harrysmith View Post
    they are still muzzle loaders where as the bp conversion is actual cf brass cases in cylinde
    edit....
    westlake are still loaded from the front into the cylinder and i believe use shotgun primers to ignite which are still percussion.
    the bp conversion cylinder is strengthened and as a separate piece at the rear where they are 6 individual firing pins which are activated by the original percussion hammer
    Last edited by loiner1965; 20-04-2020 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harrysmith View Post
    they are still muzzle loaders where as the bp conversion is actual cf brass cases in cylinder
    Ah ok. When the 209 shotgun primers were mentioned it confused me as this is what the aforementioned conversions use.

Ps You could have your 1858 converted to nitro

My mistake, as already mentioned, the back plate part of the conversions I referred to has firing pins and does not take shotgun primers. Sorry for causing confusion there, don’t know why I said that. I have edited my post above to avoid any more confusion...
    Last edited by vbull; 21-04-2020 at 09:06 AM.