Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your perfect sporting breakbarrel?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    As if by luck, Tom Gaylord, on his pyramydairblog, has today started a series on designing a break barrel springer from scratch.

Lots of topics and potential design features mentioned, including narrow bore / long stroke, barrel, breech security and trigger etc. Just the sorts of things we often talk about on here.

Be interesting to keep an eye on it and see how it progresses.

Can anyone do a link to it, please, as I'm hopeless at stuff like that?

Some of his thinking may not quite align with some of our esteemed home tuners, though.

Hmmm.....if we HAD to re-engineer a rifle, the adaptable, previously mentioned HW95 would still make a fantastic base platform and we've had reduced bore ones already. So nothing new in the following, but would be an easy conversion and cover many of Mr Gaylord's design wants - 23mm bore, buttoned piston and custom fitted guides on design specific spring. Rekord trigger still outstanding to this day, barrel quality and breech lock up no issues either.
    I stopped reading when he mentioned the record and air arms trigger, followed by 'we don't need a trigger that good in our ideal air rifle'. Followed by the Sig trigger which is more limiting in its adjustments, more complex in design, and requiring more components to make.

I assume the rest of that blog post will just be continuing to praise Sig.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    I stopped reading when he mentioned the record and air arms trigger, followed by 'we don't need a trigger that good in our ideal air rifle'. Followed by the Sig trigger which is more limiting in its adjustments, more complex in design, and requiring more components to make.

Yes, Gaylord often sells a product.

Can't disagree with any of that.

However, I think it will still be an interesting series to follow. Many of his ideas won't correlate exactly with the (in my opinion) superior UK thinking, even that of our "amateur shed tuners" -(amateur obviously in the literal sense, as in on a non-professional basis), but I'll certainly be interesting in seeing how far this goes.

And it ain't going to be a GTS.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

I stopped reading years ago when he claimed the HW35 was so named because it has a 35mm piston stroke, Dan.

If you scroll down to 'Weihrauch model numbers', you can read it for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    I stopped reading years ago when he claimed the HW35 was so named because it has a 35mm piston stroke, Dan.

Next you'll be telling me my TX doesn't have 200mm stroke

I have offered on many occasions my view that the BEST general purpose, self contained and standard production legal limit air rifle EVER MADE is the Theoben Fenman in .20.
    This also happens to be a break barrel so would be my pick to answer this particular question.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    I have offered on many occasions my view that the BEST general purpose, self contained and standard production legal limit air rifle EVER MADE is the Theoben Fenman in .20.
    This also happens to be a break barrel so would be my pick to answer this particular question.
    I agree with you Nick but being fussy they could have a better trigger.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Maybe he was referring to the 6 yards paper target version, Jim?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Maybe he was referring to the 6 yards paper target version, Jim?
    I'm not sure the pellets would get quite that far, Tony.

In .177", an AA Field would only start to move when the piston was ~2.1mm from the cylinder wall, and a Hobby would start less than 1mm from the cylinder wall so, if the spring was monstrous enough to push the piston all the way, they'd only have in the order of a half to a quarter of a millisecond respectively to accelerate before the piston started to retreat.

Back on topic, the ideal break barrel IMO would have the weight and balance of something like the BSF B55 with a CD/Rekord trigger and the shot cycle of my LGV.

I'm quite lucky to already own my ultimate break barrel.
    Pro Elite Vglide reduced cylinder
    Last edited by Mr wobble; 18-06-2020 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr wobble View Post
    I'm quite lucky to already own my ultimate break barrel.
    Pro Elite Vglide reduced cylinder
    Yep, I’d second that. However, I’ve just sorted my little 95 .22 and can’t seem to put it down! In fact, I have just come in from an hours plinking session with my 14year daughter with it - now seriously considering getting her a hw30
    I don’t hunt anymore, if I did it would still be the PE.

Back on topic, the ideal break barrel IMO would have the weight and balance of something like the BSF B55 with a CD/Rekord trigger and the shot cycle of my LGV.
    But is it possible to make something that light and small behave as good as the LGV??

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    But is it possible to make something that light and small behave as good as the LGV??
    There are two aspects to recoil and surge; the displacement (travel) and the nature (acceleration/deceleration and vibration).

I could get my HW95 to match either the displacement, or the nature, but not both at the same time.

So, in terms of rifles currently available, I'm thinking that the delightful little HW99S would tick many of those boxes? Small, slim and lightweight. The Rekord trigger. A firing cycle that defies the usual logic of light & full power vs refinement. On your rig, I'm sure you would highlight areas to address to try and get the firing cycle as close as possible to the LGV and then be able to address them through pragmatic spring selection.

I think a "JT99" would feature towards the top of many people's lists.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    If I'm truly honest, I can't seem to put down my .25 Supersport/Lightning set up, I truly do enjoy shooting it and it could still be improved upon with a proper tune and set up.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in