Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: You must read this if you hunt at night or like gadgets

Silent Sentinel

I also think this could have good possibilities, its not NV but you never said it was.
    The beam is very tight, can be focused and may be out of the visible spectrum for some critters (maybe I dunno but guessing as some are colour blind to some colours)

I spotted it for $174usd, im lucky in that I have friends who would ship to me...even paying duty it works out a LOT cheaper than buying it in the UK

Don't let the guys here drag you down, some VERY strong opinions on this forum with what looks like many experts who just stay to the known default good...me..i go where technology leads me

let us know how the unit works out, I bought a similar green laser with the intention of creating a similar unit to what you have...if I ever find a way of spreading the tight focus wider.

Or... we could just buy a 100mw green laser from dealextreme with adjustable focus for $38, free shipping to UK.

It's a tarted up green laser. Some of the products out there are insulting to shooters. They think because we spend good money on rifles and gadgets that they can "invent" some "new" device and we will cue up to buy it like idiots.

SS, my intention was not to upset you, if I have then I apologise.

I'm very cynical when it comes to spending my hard-earned (ferreting today, in amongst nettles and privet - very hard earned )

If it was a comparable price to a LF then I may have one, but it's a lot more expensive and I remain to be convinced. That said, if it does turn out to be super sneaky, then I'll happily swallow my cynicism and may even fork out for one.

Please do let us know how you get on, and post a link to the videos you make. Added your channel to my favourites so I can keep an eye out.

Thanks in Advance and all the best.

Jamie
    Professional Pest Control without Poisons - Trapping and snaring equipment - www.jllpestcontrol.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by HorseDude View Post
    Or... we could just buy a 100mw green laser from dealextreme with adjustable focus for $38, free shipping to UK.

It's a tarted up green laser. Some of the products out there are insulting to shooters. They think because we spend good money on rifles and gadgets that they can "invent" some "new" device and we will cue up to buy it like idiots.
    Now that sounds like a plan.....Which one? Soooo many choices!!!
    Professional Pest Control without Poisons - Trapping and snaring equipment - www.jllpestcontrol.co.uk

deano is offline Crack!.......Wheeee........Thup
    don't think i'll be ditching me lightforce.

Interesting.

looking forward to the video at night.Oh by the way fella ALL THE BEST with your new son.
    Daystate airwolf mvt,hawke sidewinder 8-32x56 sr12ir,airstream silencer,harris 9-13 swivel bipod.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/719/11072009410.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Silent sentinel View Post
    No I am just a normal bod wanting to share my experience of this awsome bit of kit. I am not saying buy one I am just saying i am going to and if this is your thing then I would check one out for yourself.
    What a suspicious mind you have Steyr

ATB SS
    It was more your method of delivery - sounded more like a sales pitch than a "what do you think of this" type post.

Not sure how a coloured laser in flood is going to be better than NV to be honest and for a fancy torch it is heavy on the price tag. Still, noce to have the choice.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Graham2 is offline Slightly camp, makes decent chilli, and has a box of tissues and a can of 3 In 1 in the gun room
    It's nice to see that people on here are so open minded about new technology!

Only time will tell whether these units are any good. They're not meant to replace anybody's dearly beloved NV gear, it's just a new way of seeing and shooting stuff in the dark.

There's one hand-held unit, the ND-5, that's about the same size and weight as a D-cell Maglite, for having a scan about with either a wide or narrow beam (which nobody has to like or buy!) and another smaller unit, the ND-3 that's about the same size as a Mini Maglite that is mounted to your scope, so that you can spot and shoot quarry. Nobody has to like or buy this unit either! The beam is also adjustable from a dot to a narrow beam and the mount lets you zero it to coincide with your scope's image. You then use your normal rifle/scope combination as you would during the day to identify and shoot your quarry if it's what you're after.

Yes, there is a visible green light, so it's not as covert as NV gear, but it's got very little overspill like a normal lamp, so won't light up the whole district. I've had foxes run towards me when I've been using a green Deben LED Ray light, so maybe quarry is confused by green beams of light because they've never seen one before, or maybe they don't 'see' it in the way they do a white light. I've got both units here for evaluation and I'll be using it tomorrow night up the farm. Only time will tell if it's any good. I'm not promoting anything, just trying it out to see if it's any good. I'll let you know...

By the way chaps, just cut people a little bit of slack, you might just learn something!

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham2 View Post
    It's nice to see that people on here are so open minded about new technology!

Only time will tell whether these units are any good. They're not meant to replace anybody's dearly beloved NV gear, it's just a new way of seeing and shooting stuff in the dark.

There's one hand-held unit, the ND-5, that's about the same size and weight as a D-cell Maglite, for having a scan about with either a wide or narrow beam (which nobody has to like or buy!) and another smaller unit, the ND-3 that's about the same size as a Mini Maglite that is mounted to your scope, so that you can spot and shoot quarry. Nobody has to like or buy this unit either! The beam is also adjustable from a dot to a narrow beam and the mount lets you zero it to coincide with your scope's image. You then use your normal rifle/scope combination as you would during the day to identify and shoot your quarry if it's what you're after.

Yes, there is a visible green light, so it's not as covert as NV gear, but it's got very little overspill like a normal lamp, so won't light up the whole district. I've had foxes run towards me when I've been using a green Deben LED Ray light, so maybe quarry is confused by green beams of light because they've never seen one before, or maybe they don't 'see' it in the way they do a white light. I've got both units here for evaluation and I'll be using it tomorrow night up the farm. Only time will tell if it's any good. I'm not promoting anything, just trying it out to see if it's any good. I'll let you know...

By the way chaps, just cut people a little bit of slack, you might just learn something!
    I am really looking forward to hearing what you have to say about these units.

Regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Thanks Daystatedaz, was at the hospital all day looks like my boy will be here tomorrow. I have just discovered the most scary living thing on the planet is a pregnant woman

Oh and Jamie no need to appologise I am sh ting myself at the mo with baby on the way and I more than likely took offence easier than I would normaly. Looking back it does kinda look like a sale pitch but I have just paid £300 for this unit so although I dont have a vested interest I do have £300 invested in it and if it turns out to be a pile of crud then I will be stuck with it lol.

Sorry if I over reacted aswell

ATB SS

Iv had a go with one .. its a green lamp and not a very good one at that , nuff said
    Careful with that axe Eugene

lamps/nv

when lamping im really happy with my tesco torch/homemade mounts from fishtank tube clips, i've used/been out with folk with much bigger longer range lamps but if you just shoot with air rifles at uk limit all they seem to do is scare everything 3 feilds away! When nv units get cheap & small enough i might get one though :-)

is this the same product?,seem's there maybe issue's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2GA5...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by weebster View Post
    is this the same product?,seem's there maybe issue's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2GA5...eature=related
    At the end of the article he says he recommends it and we took it across to the field opposit where I live we could see a rabbit at 80-90yrds clearly and the rabbit was not even slightly spooked

ATB Ghosty

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    when lamping im really happy with my tesco torch/homemade mounts from fishtank tube clips, i've used/been out with folk with much bigger longer range lamps but if you just shoot with air rifles at uk limit all they seem to do is scare everything 3 feilds away! When nv units get cheap & small enough i might get one though :-)
    I am not saying you cant get going with cheaper kit I have on many occasions used what was available. But if you could afford a High class lady of the night why would you phone and inlist the services of a £10 crack whore ? Sorry but I could not think of a cleaner way to compare

ATB SS