Thread: Bushnell 4200 6-24 x 40 Side Focus

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Brilliant review blue thanks, been waiting for them to come out . I'm ermin and aarin about one of these (or wait for an 8-32x40) for my 17HMR when I get it.

Noting your buddy could rangefind between 90 and 100 yards good, how do think it would rate in the 100~150 yards area in twilight or mostly lamping please? and did you have any customs to pay when it got here?
    For NV spotter and add-on videos, paste > some bloke night vision < into YouTube search bar

Some bloke.
    I'll have a go with it on Sunday for the rangefinding over 100 yards.
    As I stated, for lamping with full bore over 100 yards, I found the field of view a tad narrow for actually finding the beastie. Once found, all was very clear, but for searching for a 200 yard fox you've seen in the lamp seemed difficult.
    For HMR ranges, say out to 130 yards lamping, it is fine.
    I have been lucky with duty thus far. If you get duty charged, expect to pay about £380-£400 ish. I'm lucky as my friend is a dealer for Nikon and Bushnell.

To be fair I really need to do some head to head comparisons with other scopes lamping. My favourite is a Scopechief 4-15 x 50, this is an incredible scope, but like rocking horse poo to find.
    Apart from the lamping bit, the 6-24 x 40 scope is hard to beat especially at the price (even if HMC do their bit). For general use they are brilliant.
    Last edited by blue; 23-09-2006 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by some bloke View Post
    Brilliant review blue thanks, been waiting for them to come out . I'm ermin and aarin about one of these (or wait for an 8-32x40) for my 17HMR when I get it.

Noting your buddy could rangefind between 90 and 100 yards good, how do think it would rate in the 100~150 yards area in twilight or mostly lamping please? and did you have any customs to pay when it got here?
    Sorry to disapoint, but 100 yards tops for sub 25 yard range finding. Interestingly it is better than my 8-32 Burris at distance.

Not sure I follow that Blue. Do you mean the furtherest it will rangefind within 25 yards, is 100 yards?
    For NV spotter and add-on videos, paste > some bloke night vision < into YouTube search bar

100~150 yards area in twilight
    Don't know if it'll be of any help but having compared the two out of curiosity, can say that at 75 yards in twilight* it loses image definition a bit earlier than a Zero Option 3-9x40 when both at 9x.

(* light level where small white targets - screwtops off 1 litre plastic milk containers - are almost invisible to unscoped eye)

As an afterthought should add though, that the Bushnell is a very good scope and I wouldn't want to part with mine; comparing it with the ZO in low light is perhaps unfair anyway, since the ZO's got a limited magnification range while being only slightly shorter in length.

Quote Originally Posted by Forth View Post
    As an afterthought should add though, that the Bushnell is a very good scope and I wouldn't want to part with mine; comparing it with the ZO in low light is perhaps unfair anyway, since the ZO's got a limited magnification range while being only slightly shorter in length.
    Even so, that seems to be a good indication with the test done.
    Casing point that there is no "ultimate" all round scope.

Even so, that seems to be a good indication with the test done.
    Casing point that there is no "ultimate" all round scope.
    Indeed so; and the ZO is (imo) in some ways a rather under-rated scope given that it also outdoes a Bushnell Trophy and a Hawke Reflex 3-9x40s in the same low light conditions, which suggests the 4200's comparative performance although inferior to the ZO wasn't at all bad.