Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
Although I have no specific source of info, I had always thought the same a ukniel, however some interweb research turns up several different definitions (many of which would seem to be given with only one type of firearm in mind) and I suspect it is one of those terms that means exactly what you want it to.

FWIW in my opinion, it is only really meaningful if we accept ukniels definition (trigger release to projectile in free flight) since it can then me meaningfully applied to any firearm (even a flintlock or matchlock. crossbow). Can't see why anyone would be interested in how long it takes from trigger release to striking the primer - what use would this info be?
But it doesn't mean you have to relate it to a springer find another term for it. Lock is just that, the firing mechanism, not the time from trigger to projectile leaving the barrel. It's all milliseconds we're talking about but it came about from matchlock to flintlock to cartridge firing times which varied greatly as advances were made