Thread: Garden shooting rules?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    I suspect a bit of gold plating of the rules here.

My memory is that if someone considers you to be causing a problem that belief can be reported, It is not directly illegal to shoot nearer to a right of way than that. And that the distance is 50 feet from the centre of a public right of way.

That's from my memory. If I'm wrong I'd like to know that.
    It's 50 feet from the centre of a carriageway, not a public right of way (e.g footpaths aren't covered by the legislation). You can shoot closer than that to a carriageway, provided a user isn't “injured, interrupted or endangered”.

Injured and endangered are covered by having an adequate backstop. “Interrupted” is slightly ambiguous. Since the legislation dates back to horses, it could be argued “interrupted” means telling them to wait or take a detour, rather than them stopping to rubberneck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacklurcher View Post
    It's 50 feet from the centre of a carriageway, not a public right of way (e.g footpaths aren't covered by the legislation). You can shoot closer than that to a carriageway, provided a user isn't “injured, interrupted or endangered”.

Injured and endangered are covered by having an adequate backstop. “Interrupted” is slightly ambiguous. Since the legislation dates back to horses, it could be argued “interrupted” means telling them to wait or take a detour, rather than them stopping to rubberneck.
    You can shoot in the middle of the carriage way if you don't cause impedance to travellers. 50 foot is about 16 yards or bloody close if you prefer.

If you want to shoot over your boundary, you can always ask permission from the neighbour or the person who holds the shooting rights as not always the land owner.

Nuisance will be a big factor. Metal back stops are bloody noisy. Lead is great but dry sand with heavy paving slabs is the best.

ALL wildlife is protected under various statutes pretty much. The GENERAL LICENCE is a variation that allows certain species to be controlled. The species can come and go for example starlings used to be on but removed. Parakeets have become a recent addition like ringed and monk. HOWEVER the GL's also set the rules of what why when etc you can engage. If you don't comply you can be prosecuted. As ignorance is no defence at law, then you need to know the terms of the GLs and what species can be shot.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill