Thread: Original 50 T01- Maligned by Some

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post
    I remember reading this article by Lynton and recently too but have mislaid it . I have only seen a few Or 50's maybe because I have never really chased after one Whenever one is found , money has usually just been spent on something else wanted more . But they are accurate and do have that certain something since I discovered them many moons ago . I have only one back issue of my cherished black and white Airgun Hobby magazine and there is a full 4 page article by an English writer no less on the 'original' earlier 50
    ( Vol7 No3 2010 Airgun Hobby The Original Model 50 /Hoare ) .
    Interesting that the author noted it was extremely accurate , but bucked like a mule . This later Or 50 with the longer chamber / spring , if I ever obtain one of these or the earlier version , think its one for the tuners . Bring the power down and re- tune for less stress of components .
    Which would give you a pre-TO1 Diana 50, just a bit bigger and heavier and slightly less nice looking.

But, like you, I'd have one at the right price, just out of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Which would give you a pre-TO1 Diana 50, just a bit bigger and heavier and slightly less nice looking.

But, like you, I'd have one at the right price, just out of interest.
    I picked up.my first 50 in Litts for £80 whilst en route to an AC/DC concert many moons ago. Just couldn't leave behind in the racks.
    Like many I.lusted after the T01 after.reading the infamous Lynton article. Its quite a bit shy performance wise of what was.reported on but is not all bad.And, being.Diana's great.white hope ( failed) it does make this marque just a little collectable.
    Dave

Im still enjoying my T01 and its very interesting to shoot it back to back with the regular 50 and the Original 45. I have it closer to the 45 in shooting feel and behind both in accuracy. That's not to say mine isn't accurate, it's good for what I use it for. And my 50s and 45s spoil me a bit.

The T01 was less pretty than the 50 it replaced. It was meant to be as powerful as the 45, but wasn't. It did nothing better than the 45; it wasn't even as accurate.
    If I was still a collector then I consider the T01 as a must have rifle because they are rare. Far rarer than the older 50's. They were going for a song at one time.

I fancied one at the time but it soon became apparent that it wasn't a match to the 45. Anyhow Theoben were on the scene if you weren't going HW.

As for the Webley Omega it was too late and they didn't address the trigger. I bought an Eclipse having bent a few Theopben's barrels. Didn't keep it long purely due to the time it took to load and an indifferent trigger. Bought a Fenman for my father and still use it. Have a Theoben SLR88 too; keepers. A tuned Omega because they point so well.
    Most of my collection has gone as most were best kept well within farmyard range. However, I did keep the 45 over a HW35E. Will always have a FWB Sport or two.

1980 were the days of the HW35 E, Original 45, FWB Sport and the increasingly rare to find mint Webley Vulcan; a BSA Airsporter or Mercury S if you must, or if exotic a BSF. Fun, then anything from Sussex Armoury. (Anyone have an AR7 for sale?)