Thread: Gamo Compact experience

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    Firstly, sounds like your enthusiasm is being rewarded which is really good. Increasing to 60 a fortnight seems a reasonable step to me if your 'fitness' level progresses it's likely you will be able to cope with all the rigours that go with it such as maintaining your concentration level. As you know it's not all physical.

Secondly, recommendations or suggestions on pistol upgrading. That's not so easy, some will be able to offer advice regarding kit they own or have used which can be helpful but it's not to say that it will be the same for you. Possibly the advice I would offer is along the lines of don't rush into anything, there is no real urgency to it although the desire might be great the actual need might not be so great, keep in mind the Gamo will probably out shoot you for a while, but I know the trigger weight is higher than you wish but even so I'd advise not rushing things. If you can get to a club, hopefully they might have a couple of club pistols you can try. Hopefully not Compacts, but it's a possibility. Sometimes other shooters will let you borrow their pistol for a few shots or at least let you feel the handling, balance & general properties. Then maybe you can begin to make a list of possible choices or at least features you want in your prospective purchase. Personally I sometimes think CO2 powered pistols are a little noisy, they seem to have a bit of a crack, not sure if its barrel length (don't think so) gas expansion characteristics or what, maybe it's a frequency thing? Not sure. However at a range, maybe with acoustic padding etc or a larger size room than at home it might seem a bit quieter & could be a bit noisier at home. Might be a consideration? PCP can go with a fair pop too, & you need to think about now you want to refill the cylinders too with a PCP. CO2 is fairly straightforward & fairly convenient but temperature & shot count are issues you need to consider.

CO2 fell out of favour when PCP came on the scene for all sorts of reasons for top end match competition, but for social competition shooting maybe it's a possibility. You might not think the noise is an issue, it's just my take on things & that's why I suggest you get to go & have a look & a try with as many types as you can. It's your choice but I think you will make a better decision once you have as much information as you can get from practical experience.

Does that help? Probably not, but it's one persons take on the question?

Atb
    Thank you for your detailed and considered response, I do appreciate it. Joining a club will likely be a good way forward for all the reasons you mentioned, although I’ll wait until covid disapates more before I jump in there. I’ve had a few suggestions from worthy sources up to now: Tau-7 and LP1, amongst others. I quite like the idea of a Tau, as it doesn’t have too many adjustments! And I can get it new with a warranty for a very reasonable cost. Also Co2 canisters are cheap and readily available. Any used gun is likely to want a service/ re-sealing. I realise that the Tau is no were near as refined as a Styer, but if it gets me to the next level? Do you have any experience of a Tau-7?

Quote Originally Posted by CB200 View Post
    Thank you for your detailed and considered response, I do appreciate it. Joining a club will likely be a good way forward for all the reasons you mentioned, although I’ll wait until covid disapates more before I jump in there. I’ve had a few suggestions from worthy sources up to now: Tau-7 and LP1, amongst others. I quite like the idea of a Tau, as it doesn’t have too many adjustments! And I can get it new with a warranty for a very reasonable cost. Also Co2 canisters are cheap and readily available. Any used gun is likely to want a service/ re-sealing. I realise that the Tau is no were near as refined as a Styer, but if it gets me to the next level? Do you have any experience of a Tau-7?
    Haven't seen a Tau for a while, but I think they are pretty good in most respects. The shot count is fairly high too if I remember correctly, which could be an advantage too.
    One thing, dont think they have a dry fire device? Might not be true if all versions, maybe some did & some didn't.
    Either way it could be a good option.
    Certainly worth looking into further & trying to find one you can try before taking the plunge.

Haven't seen a Tau for a while, but I think they are pretty good in most respects. The shot count is fairly high too if I remember correctly, which could be an advantage too.
    One thing, dont think they have a dry fire device? Might not be true if all versions, maybe some did & some didn't.
    Either way it could be a good option.
    Certainly worth looking into further & trying to find one you can try before taking the plunge.
    Thanks for that. There’s a gentleman in the USA who makes a gizmo to enable a Tau-7 to dry fire easily: very cheap too. I think it makes sense to certainly try before I buy, whatever pistol I eventually get, like you mentioned. Btw shot a card today with 5 tens on it, first time ever! Also included a 5🥴😆

Thanks for that. There’s a gentleman in the USA who makes a gizmo to enable a Tau-7 to dry fire easily: very cheap too. I think it makes sense to certainly try before I buy, whatever pistol I eventually get, like you mentioned. Btw shot a card today with 5 tens on it, first time ever! Also included a 5🥴😆
    Guessing it's a blocking gizmo that prevents the hammer from striking the valve or something along those lines. Might be as simple as a piece of poly pipe or some sort of impact absorbing polymer buffer. Well worth trying a Tau for yourself, or any other pistol for that matter. New is kind of nice because you know it's history, s/h deals can work out well & hopefully it would have been well looked after & serviced by someone who knows what they are about, but sometimes things don't come to light till later.

A 5, a 5, .dodgy pellet! Did you call it?

Guessing it's a blocking gizmo that prevents the hammer from striking the valve or something along those lines. Might be as simple as a piece of poly pipe or some sort of impact absorbing polymer buffer. Well worth trying a Tau for yourself, or any other pistol for that matter. New is kind of nice because you know it's history, s/h deals can work out well & hopefully it would have been well looked after & serviced by someone who knows what they are about, but sometimes things don't come to light till later.

A 5, a 5, .dodgy pellet! Did you call it?
    Yes new is generally better, although it’s a trade off between older precision quality verses new simpler mechanics.

I’ve just found they do a Tau-8 pcp! Great price too!

Did I call it! I called it everything under the sun!����

Smile

Yes new is generally better, although it’s a trade off between older precision quality verses new simpler mechanics.

I’ve just found they do a Tau-8 pcp! Great price too!

Did I call it! I called it everything under the sun!����
    No no no, you have to keep calm.

No no no, you have to keep calm.
    I’m just kidding, I shot the 5 early on the card and went on to score the 5 tens after��