Thread: Guns of youth--Which ones?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    My best mate had a Panther Artillery Carbine, basically a long barreled RO72 pistol with a wire shoulder stock, that we had many an adventure with

Would love to have one of these again, but there can't be that many left as they were a touch brittle, Cheap and Nasty really, but brings back fond memories....
    Here you go buddy

Quote Originally Posted by aeron View Post
    Here you go buddy
    Oh My God, miracles do happen.

I must buy one asap, only design change seems to be the stock otherwise it looks identical, although without the tape and superglue holding it together

Cheers Fella..

Have to be Bsa Meteor, first gun still got it and it is still a top little gun . atb.

my first gun was a webley hawk only because i could get it from my mums club book i then bought an hw 80 one of the first imported as i had to wait a few months for it to arrive i then bought a sharp ace which i never liked as it never went bang when i pulled the trigger oh how little i new back then i then discovered girls and other distractions and gradually flogged them all until i got back into it last year after a break of over 20 years
    S400 Carbine

Numerous Milbro Catties

ASI Sniper .22

Webley MkIII .22 which I still have and it still shoots well though bears many scars and I regret reshaping and finishing the stock though its not that bad.

From those days my dream rifle was the Webley MkIII Supertarget.

About five years ago I walked into a shop in Great Harwood to be confronted by an absolutely split mint Supertarget with paperwork. It became mine. I put 50 or so pellets through it every couple of months.

Last Xmas brought me a 77K .177 which is tremendous.

There is definitely an underlever thing going on with me.

Good thread

regs

rod

A BSF S70 was my first gun and I would find one hard to resist if I came across it in the flesh. Wanted an Omega for years until I got one a few months back. Also fancy a Vulcan.
    My name is Craig and I am addicted to multitools

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I have bought some of the 'guns of my youth', but remembering back to way back when I spent alot of time trying to find the perfect rifle, one that didnt actually exist at that time. I bought a Original 50T01 on the back of a AGW article as it claimed 1" groups at 40 yards, but it simply wasn't true.

The rifle I really wanted was the Air Arms Prosport, but it would be 20 years before that would appear.

But in terms of guns of my youth ....

The Hammerli 401 is my favorite rifle from that time, I do have one now awaiting some kind of restoration, but I see it for what it is now and so it is not as good as it once seemed.

The best rifle I had was a Weihrauch HW35 Export in .177. It was really everything an air-rifle should be, and I stupidly sold it for a song.

The one I was most hopeful for was the Anschutz 335, but I was too critical of it and sold it too soon. Its build quality wasn't as good as the Weihrauch.

The HW77/97 and AATX200/Prosport are in a different league from those rifles of yesterday, even the really good ones like the Feinwerkbau Sport and the HW35E. The consistent accuracy they provide and the soundness of the design puts them in a different class.

I bought a Original 50T01 on the back of a AGW article as it claimed 1" groups at 40 yards, but it simply wasn't true.

Yeah I recall that article- think it was Rod Lynton who did that- I was very taken with it too

My mouth used to water when reading the Optima advertising blurb they did on the HW35e. If anyone has got an old AGW- read it and see what I mean

Anyway- I now own both the above rifles and the reality is not quite the same- however- they are still fine rifles.

Dave

The first airgun I remember owning was back in the sixties when at school. I can't remember the model number, but it was a little smoothbore Diana rifle that broke open like a single barrel shotgun. No stock, as such, just the wooden butt on the back end. Quaint little thing and it cost 25s/6d brand new in it's box.

forgot to mention the Saxby Palmer Galaxy .22 that I won from Airgun World.

My first brush with pneumatisism.

Straight off to Manchester Airguns to acquire more cartridges than the five supplied. Worn in a 12g cartridge belt I looked the biz. ( a bit of a pillock on the bus tho' ). Pumping those cartridges made me the man I am today.

Anyway it was nicked by one of my sister,s gruesome and chemically addled suitors who was caught with it whilst breaking into a chemist. He still languishes at HM's pleasure and I never saw the rifle again.

For it's time it really was a remarkable air rifle.

it's funny the memories this forum triggers

regs

rod

Talking A Daisy Buck Jones for me!

a regular BB sprayer!

Quote Originally Posted by hwvixen View Post
    ..I missed the top...hit the tyre and the rebound just missed my gonads..... happy days.
    Glad Im not the only Wally on this forum. Im my case it was Dunlops finest, an .22 Airsporter and just above my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by roduk View Post
    Pumping those cartridges made me the man I am today.
    rod
    Im glad I stayed with springers then.

My early airgun teen years involved a tatty Diana G34 bought for 50p which eventually, after many thousands of shots, gave up the struggle to survive. It was replaced by a brand new (£12! ) Diana G34 which gave sterling service until replaced with an, as new, BSA Airsporter. It was several years before I discovered purity in the form of German airguns.

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 16-03-2009 at 09:03 AM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by roduk View Post
    forgot to mention the Saxby Palmer Galaxy .22 that I won from Airgun World.

My first brush with pneumatisism.

Straight off to Manchester Airguns to acquire more cartridges than the five supplied. Worn in a 12g cartridge belt I looked the biz. ( a bit of a pillock on the bus tho' ). Pumping those cartridges made me the man I am today.

Anyway it was nicked by one of my sister,s gruesome and chemically addled suitors who was caught with it whilst breaking into a chemist. He still languishes at HM's pleasure and I never saw the rifle again.

For it's time it really was a remarkable air rifle.

it's funny the memories this forum triggers

regs

rod
    saxby and palmer
    i had one of those but with the big (one and a half pumps ) pump
    so it was easy /should have kept that one
    bought it out of the wifes catalogue /when you could do that