Quote Originally Posted by Scubashot View Post
I would like to be able to say that it was that easy!
I thought that after thirty years technology would have moved on so I sprang for one of the kits that seemed well regarded on many forums.
I provided all of the information asked - calibre, rifle or karbine, 25 or 26mm internals etc but still had to strip and adjust the spring preload several times as the new seal bedded in and the power increased.
Eventually there were no more preload washers to remove and I had to collapse a coil of the new spring. I wondered why they didn't supply a spring that was a little softer having provided preload washers to adjust it up anyway but was told that having dead weight is very bad. Apparently, I should have returned the spring to the supplier who would have replaced it with a more suitable alternative. There was some suggestion that the subsequent failure of the supplied spring guide may have been related to my collapsing a coil even though it was not installed in that end of the spring!
I now have a cocktail of parts from various kits installed which work to my satisfaction but I would refit either the original Weihrauch or even the Ox if I have to replace the spring in the future. There seems little point in paying for a premium kit if you have to rework the parts yourself to get them to perform correctly or spend time and money sending bits back and forth to the supplier.
You are quite right, I was lucky to have a kit which come with a short spring and some spacers which after fitted was sub 12 , Saying that I still had to remove a spacer after a good few pellets had been put through it and even had to remove the last spacer as it had increased a bit to close to 12 ftlbs , Its now settled at 11.1 .
As you pointed out if the spring alone which was bought as a kit was over 12 ftlbs I would not be happy either , That's if the kit was made to fit and be sub 12 without cutting spring,