Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hw99 imp vs standard hw99s

hw99 imp vs standard hw99s

I know it's a no brainer that the sandWell field sport tuned rifle will be better but.

If all your concerned with is accuracy and not bothered about length, sound, ease of cocking and the other benefits of the tune is it worth spending the extra money and waiting 3 months?

All I'm interested in is the accuracy?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I'd suggest it probably more worth getting the std gun and doing a basic spit and polish tune yourself, thereby getting the best of both

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    I'd suggest it probably more worth getting the std gun and doing a basic spit and polish tune yourself, thereby getting the best of both
    Agree, the standard gun is very accurate
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

I wouldn't go nuts on power if its .177, much over 10ftlb they can be harsh.

edit im an idiot
    Last edited by vobster; 18-12-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Surely the improved smoothness etc from a tune all leads to a smoother firing cycle which must aid in improved accuracy, Surely ?

ATB

Matt
    .177 HW100 KT, Hawke Sidewinder 4-14x44 SR Pro, A&M Twink Modorator.

I had the pleasure of shooting a friends 99 that he had just purchased. He had given it a basic strip, clean,polish and 're-lube. We had gone down to our local plinking range to refine the trigger pull. All I can say is that it was easy to shoot, annoyingly accurate out to 55 yrd, and when I can find the right excuse Imay well get one. For just around 200 squids it's a great gun in its own right and as with most hw,s it will only get better.

Quote Originally Posted by salop sniper View Post
    Surely the improved smoothness etc from a tune all leads to a smoother firing cycle which must aid in improved accuracy, Surely ?

ATB

Matt
    Not very much, no.

Have the latest models had the cylinder scoring problem sorted yet?

Quote Originally Posted by M4tth3w View Post
    Have the latest models had the cylinder scoring problem sorted yet?
    Hi there, i'm almost sure the latest models have a delrin insert set into the cocking link which has sorted the problem, watch out when buying one though as there are still lots of older non modified examples on the shelves...

I don't think SFS offer the IMP in .177 ,
    Last edited by CORKY.; 18-12-2014 at 06:29 PM.
    Pick up your gun, shove a bullet up the spout
    It's the Major Dennis Bloodnok Rock'n' Roll Call Tango

Quote Originally Posted by CORKY. View Post
    I don't think SFS offer he IMP in .177 ,
    Hi there, i talked to SFS a few months back and apparently they will do a .177 if somebody wants one but pointed out to me that they weren't as nice as the .22 or words to that affect, he also said something about the power level being around a touch over 10ft/lbs which i think is a nice power level for a .177 springer anyway...

Of all the guns I have owned the HW99 is the easiest to be accurate with that I have ever shot right out of the box.

Easy to bring on aim, easy to keep there, without any tendency (that I can detect) to muzzle flip, light, decent open sights if that's your thing...

I have had a couple of .22 examples and still own a .177

It has been up to 11.4 but I run it at 10.4 out of choice where it purrs along.

It has bags of accuracy potential - I have managed tiny 5 shot groups at 40 yards (witnessed) several times without straining overly, so someone who actually knows what they are doing will only do it better

Wish it had an HW95 cocking linkage though...

Having shot an Imp and one or two other tuned examples I feel that the Imp is overpriced compared to what you could have. Just an opinion and not in any way intended to be a criticism of those who have invested in an Imp.

The Imp that I saw had what appeared to have a die cut thread on the shortened barrel, to be honest it didn't look neat and the silencer was tight to screw off. If I go down the HW99 route, I would clean the internals, add the Tinbum guides, perhaps shorten the barrel and either have it lathe screw cut, or slip on silencer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    As above, Math.

I do not doubt for one second that the Imp will be excellent, but it's so rewarding to do the work yourself. Not much required at all on these.

And get that 97 done at the same time you lazy bugger!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

brought new one in .177, de bured it and tinbum kit, and its nearly as smooth as my 22 vmach 95 with v glide piston, had barrel shortened to 10.5 inchs and threaded for silencer, great little rifle