Thread: Not a Giffard, suspiciously like a Greener though

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    That guy's stuff is great, isn't it? I even like the ones that I don't like, if that makes sense. Amazing some of the craftsmen working in this little world.
    This is amazing:
    http://www.hegmans.de/theo/flycatcher.htm

The design is just something else...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Martin Herrick is a very clever man as well as being a very nice chap. He found an original Giffard barrel for me, cleaned it up and sleeved it to .22 which i can now use in place of my Giffard's original 8mm barrel. Shooting with the .22 gives a consistent 10.5 ft/lbs with Gamo lead balls. He also modified a period aperture sight to fit on a modified stock bolt. There are some pictures of this under Giffard on the vintage airgun website. My lasting regret is that i did not buy some of his specials when they were offered to me at a very reasonable price years ago. He used to be on here as customstocker but i have now lost touch with him. Perhaps he could be pursuaded to knock out a batch of converted Martini Henrys. I'am sure there are a few of us on here who are drooling over this one.

Quote Originally Posted by j_potter View Post
    Martin Herrick is a very clever man as well as being a very nice chap....

... Perhaps he could be pursuaded to knock out a batch of converted Martini Henrys. I'am sure there are a few of us on here who are drooling over this one.
    Just in case there is ANY chance at all of this being a possibility, I would very much like to confirm my hand is seriously raised to register my sincerest interest. And more than willing to travel just about anywhere to discuss.

Fascinating ! Now I know where I would rather put my money if it was a choice between one of these and a reworked Webley Service Add my name to the list with chieffool

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Fascinating ! Now I know where I would rather put my money if it was a choice between one of these and a reworked Webley Service Add my name to the list with chieffool
    me three....
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    This is amazing:
    http://www.hegmans.de/theo/flycatcher.htm

The design is just something else...
    Lovely ... isn't it? I really like the approach he took to 'reverse' the use of the apparent 'barrel' and 'ejector' so that the former is the tank, and the under barrel ejector becomes the actual pellet barrel.

He uses the same approach in some of the 'Winchester' and 'Henry' rifles as well as own evolutionary designs along the same theme, with the actual pellet barrel hidden into the equivalent tube magazine the original namesakes would have had. As a gunsmith, he is an absolute artist. Its hard enough making a 'replica' ....
    ...but then to adapt the whole approach in this way is bordering on the extraordinary.

Of course 'replica' is the wrong term to use. Homage? Inspirational concept? Can't think of any term to apply to his work other than just extraordinarily beautiful.

I also like all the ballistic data he supplies along with his engineering drawings to illustrate and explain. Clearly every one he produces is produced and functioning to the highest standards.