Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: New to reloading

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    Lee make a portable stand; have a good look at one, then get somebody to copy it for you, if you can't do it yourself.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=le...alu_EfWutPKVFM
    i have a small bedroom to reload in and a walk in wardrobe as well.......5 presses in total and another one not set up.
    the loft also is used to store cases, bullet molds and other bits........i think it gets out of hand this shooting lark

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    Lee make a portable stand; have a good look at one, then get somebody to copy it for you, if you can't do it yourself.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=le...alu_EfWutPKVFM
    You can use a Workmate style foldable work bench too. Either drill holes into it for mounting - or use clamps.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    You will need a kinetic hammer to take apart rounds (that is if you don’t already have one
    You should now be able to set everything up and make some dummy rounds to get used to the press (don’t bother priming them).
    The newer lee dies may well taper crimp as well I’ve not looked it up , but read it somewhere.
    I made a bench, it is an artfully twisted wrought iron base with some nice white formica on top

I don't have a kinetic hammer, but after making dummy rounds I sure need one!
    Here is the dummy with the factory round, it is exactly the same length, looks pretty, but you can definitely see where the bullet is seated. Is this ok/normal?

Tac, I will pick up some CCI's when I collect the powder.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    God rest ye jelly mental men

It does happen and hence the need of the hammer ��
    You may be able to get round it by making shure the case is sized properly & then flared a bit to seat the bullet.
    Check , Chang seating / crimping Die depth you may have it set to deep (loosen of the inner seating ‘probe’ 1st or remove it all together and see how the fully seated case looks)
    Also you may want to measure up the dia of the bullet as may be slightly larger than the factory spec ones.
    You’ll find this a useful learning curve to go through.

ATB
    James

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    It does happen and hence the need of the hammer ��
    You may be able to get round it by making shure the case is sized properly & then flared a bit to seat the bullet.
    Check , Chang seating / crimping Die depth you may have it set to deep (loosen of the inner seating ‘probe’ 1st or remove it all together and see how the fully seated case looks)
    Also you may want to measure up the dia of the bullet as may be slightly larger than the factory spec ones.
    You’ll find this a useful learning curve to go through.

ATB
    James
    Thanks, I'm just playing at the moment seeing what everything does. This is a factory Geco 124grn FMJ round and a Geco 124grn FMJ bullet in a Geco case. I'm doing something wrong, but I'll find it

If you want a quick way to check if you ammo is within spec, get a gauge.

https://www.cdsgltd.co.uk/lyman-pist...gauge-9mm.html

Or one of these

https://youtu.be/s1RVV5fUNY0

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    It's pretty common to get a small bulge in the case near to the base of the bullet. In your pix I can also see one in the factory round but much less obvious. Does the round chamber properly? If yes then don't worry about it. If not then you might try a little more flare or a little less crimp.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    It's pretty common to get a small bulge in the case near to the base of the bullet. In your pix I can also see one in the factory round but much less obvious. Does the round chamber properly? If yes then don't worry about it. If not then you might try a little more flare or a little less crimp.
    It chambers fine

I have been checking loading data, and with the Vectan BA9 powder I have on order it looks like I need 0.27g/4.2 grn of powder which is the .43 aperture on my dispenser. This figures with the 0.28g recommended by club members using the same, and of course I will be double checking on scales as and when the time comes.

<Squeaks with excitement>
    Last edited by tinbum; 29-06-2020 at 09:14 PM.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    It chambers fine

I have been checking loading data, and with the Vectan BA9 powder I have on order it looks like I need 0.27g/4.2 grn of powder which is the .43 aperture on my dispenser. This figures with the 0.28g recommended by club members using the same, and of course I will be double checking on scales as and when the time comes.

<Squeaks with excitement>
    Then it's fine to use. Can't comment on the load but it's always good to talk with folk that use the same powder in the same cartridge - you might be able to improve on that but having a starting point saves a lot of time. With the .38 spl I found that the crimp makes a difference to the performance of the round but for case life I use the least possible (just enough to remove the flare leaving the case sides parallel - factory crimps usually have a distinct inwards curve.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

your bottom will be doing 50p.......5p........50p.........5p imitations when you pull the trigger on your first home load shot

This may be me, but is the plastic primer inserting thingy poop? I haven't inserted a primer with it as I am still awaiting the powder, but it just seems proper pony. I feel I would be better doing it by hand.

Am I doing something wrong?

Have a look at this

https://youtu.be/YwqOpknjsZI

And a bit of practice, if you still can’t get on with it then place the primers by hand (a primer flip tray is good for this)

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    This may be me, but is the plastic primer inserting thingy poop? I haven't inserted a primer with it as I am still awaiting the powder, but it just seems proper pony. I feel I would be better doing it by hand.

Am I doing something wrong?
    No not doing anything wrong, with Lee some of their kit is really good but some is not.

The press you have is excellent, the carbide pistol calibre dies are great, the auto disk powder measure does what it is meant to do.

But the reloading scales are not special and some of the other plastic bits are not great either.

If I were you, given your stated requirements for ammo quantity then manually putting a primer into the arm will not hamper you.
    Last edited by rockdrill; 02-07-2020 at 07:09 AM. Reason: typo
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    No not doing anything wrong, with Lee gear some of their kit is really good but some is not.

The press you have is excellent, the carbide pistol calibre dies are great, the auto disk powder measure does what it is meant to do.

But the reloading scales are not special and some of the other plastic bits are not great either.

If I were you, given your stated requirements for ammo quantity then manually putting a primer into the arm will not hamper you.
    agree with above.... i use a lee bench primer and a lee ram primer

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    You might care to offload the S&B primers onto some unsuspecting noob [just kidding]. IME of almost 55 years reloading they are nigh-on total shite. CCI are THE primers - if you have access to them.
    Agreed here also.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)