Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: New to reloading

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    As well as powder, I also need to find a suitable worktop. Mrs Bum is being unreasonable again and won't let me drill holes in her kitchen table.
    I got hold of an off cut of wood block kitchen worktop, 2' x 2'6" drilled & recessed that & bolted my turret press to it.

When required that block was clamped to a table.

This may be me, but is the plastic primer inserting thingy poop? I haven't inserted a primer with it as I am still awaiting the powder, but it just seems proper pony. I feel I would be better doing it by hand.

Am I doing something wrong?
    Personally I prefer to use a hand primer. You get a very good feel for the primer insertion (sometimes primer pockets can get loose) plus you can inspect each one to make sure you are happy with the depth etc.

https://leeprecision.com/priming-too...-priming-tool/

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I got hold of an off cut of wood block kitchen worktop, 2' x 2'6" drilled & recessed that & bolted my turret press to it.

When required that block was clamped to a table.
    Before I got my workshop, I had a press on a block. I then mounted the block on my Black & Decker Workmate when I used it, worked nicely
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I picked up the powder today and made my first rounds for testing, 25 each from the .43, .46 & .49 apertures on the loading disk which is about 0.27g to 0.30g in weight. Each round was measured with the vernier and tested in the chamber. I expect that will reduce in frequency with familiarity.
    I'll test them tomorrow and decide which I'll stick with, but I have to say I really enjoyed the process of making them, and I am really grateful for the fantastic help and support you guys have given me.

Thankyou all!

[IMG][/IMG]
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Better to measure and record powder charges by weight in grains to one decimal place or to at least 3 decimal places in grammes. Those volumetric measures will not deliver the same weight for different powders.

That's for next time

ENJOY tomorrow.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Looking at the pic, your primer seating depth looks a bit inconsistent. They should be below flush with the case head. Of course it could be the lighting in the photo, but worth keeping in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    Looking at the pic, your primer seating depth looks a bit inconsistent. They should be below flush with the case head. Of course it could be the lighting in the photo, but worth keeping in mind.
    I did have a couple where the primer stood proud and had to be done again, Is that a case of cleaning the pocket better or changing primer?

I did have a couple where the primer stood proud and had to be done again, Is that a case of cleaning the pocket better or changing primer?
    Perhaps you did not give enough pressure when seating, or as you say the pocket was dirty preventing the primer from seating properly. Difficult to say without pulling the bullet and attempting to reseat it, or pop the primer out and see what else could be preventing it. Do not try this while there is a bullet and powder in there

This is why I like to hand prime - I can check each one and you get a feel for how well the primer went in.

Todays results:

The .43 load (4.2grn) failed to rack the slide at all 860fps / 204 ft/lb
    The .46 load (4..5grn) failed to rack the slide most of the time
    The .49 load (4.7grn) worked perfectly but only achieved 960fps / 254 ft/lb

The next step up on my loader is .53 which weighs 5.2grns, the maximum stated load! I would have preferred a .51 / 5.0grn option.

Ideas, suggestions, words of caution or encouragement all welcome

[IMG][/IMG]

Todays results:

The .43 load (4.2grn) failed to rack the slide at all 860fps / 204 ft/lb
    The .46 load (4..5grn) failed to rack the slide most of the time
    The .49 load (4.7grn) worked perfectly but only achieved 960fps / 254 ft/lb

The next step up on my loader is .53 which weighs 5.2grns, the maximum stated load! I would have preferred a .51 / 5.0grn option.

Ideas, suggestions, words of caution or encouragement all welcome

[IMG][/IMG]
    Use the 4.7grn load and trickle up to 4.8, 4.9, 5.0 etc. etc., carefully checking for signs of excess pressure.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

I swapped powder dispensers as the one that came with the kit is infinitely adjustable. Which is nice!

One worry: When I was tipping the unused powder back into the tub I noticed static was making some stick to the plastic hopper. Is this a potential "BOOM!" issue if it earths?

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Seems to happen with all the finer powders. I use Lovex D032 (formerly Accurate #2) and it is a very fine ball powder - pours like water. It sticks to anything plastic including the Lee powder funnels and both my Lee perfect powder dispenser hopper and my Hornady powder dispenser hopper and even my RCBS balance pan which is aluminium. The charges are very small so I don't see an ignition risk.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

I was going to say looking at the picture of the kit you posted you look to have the leee auto drum which is adjustable up to approx40 grains So you should be able to dispense what you ‘need’.
    Try and get into the habit of only using grains (rather than rotor/ dispenser volume) in reloading that way it minimises any potential errors .
    Keep a log book / journal of all load development.
    You may want to calibrate your powder dispenser with the powder you are using, make a note of volume and resultant weight of powder dispensed over a range of ‘volumes’ (it’s handy to have if you change powder it gives you a good idea of where you are ).

I swapped powder dispensers as the one that came with the kit is infinitely adjustable. Which is nice!

One worry: When I was tipping the unused powder back into the tub I noticed static was making some stick to the plastic hopper. Is this a potential "BOOM!" issue if it earths?
    Nope not a real worry with nitro powders. Give the plastic a rub with an anti-static sheet of the kind you stick in the tumble drier with your clothes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenor-Tumbl...39110226&psc=1
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    Nope not a real worry with nitro powders. Give the plastic a rub with an anti-static sheet of the kind you stick in the tumble drier with your clothes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenor-Tumbl...39110226&psc=1
    or mr sheen